What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help in OOB

chitkaran

Guru
Hey Guys,

I have seen the OOB contest and the edits were outstanding. Very nice job done by all u Guys. I have never done a OOB but wanted to have my hand.

The following is what I have started so far. PSD is attached too.

Danny_OOB_Original.jpg Danny_OOB copy.jpg

How to proceed from here :question:

Attachments

• Danny_OOB.psd
    9.6 MB · Views: 1

MikeMc

McGuru
Keep playing...I too am hooked, I have done 5 or 6 now, the skill is improving each go around!

A picture frame is not always necessary , try something new that suits the situation and subject... even don't hesitate to go for a composition in situations like this...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey ck,

Looks good so far. I agree with Evil, the photo frame is so heavily used that it's kind of old. But if your just practicing, the next thing you need to do is use the Pen Tool to to cut out (outline) everything outside the photo frame including the head, fire, and the arm. Then add a background and shadows.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Whatever you decide to do, I'd suggest you make more room around the subject, make the canvas bigger. He seems so cramped and there's no room for the OOB illusion to be really appreciated IMO.

chitkaran

Guru
Here's my first attempt after adding the shadows

Danny_OOB copy.jpg

Lookign at it somehow says it is full of errors ... but I am unable to point those somehow, feel free to share your thoughts/Edits to the Image guys..

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
As Clareby has suggested, a little more room around the subject and also maybe add a little more flame too. Grab some good quality flame images from Google and use channels to make a nice selection. Would add to the dramatic effect :D

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Chitkaran,

The cutout looks fine but you need to remove or alter the background so that it's not blending with the cutout, especially the shirt below the frame.

I see that you have some shadowing outside the frame, this is good. The shadows behind the right wrist and the microphone cord on the frame are great! But you don't need shadowing inside the frame at all.

chitkaran

Guru
Thanks a lot Sam, really appreciate your inputs.

Iwas trying to give it an effect that the right wrist is slightly outside the frame and hence added to shadow underneath.. Lolz... but it didnt give the intended effect U guess :(

The same was the idea behind the head too, to make it look as if he is coming out of the frame for a Hookah (Smoke)..

I would keep your suggestions and use them in my next practice session, which would be my New Born kid... would post it very soon...

Thanks buddy :thumbsup:

chitkaran

Guru
Here's another attempt on the OOB - He is my 4 month old Son being guarded by his toys in his room..

teg_OOB.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
I agree with OJ about the flames. The shadow around the fist makes it seem as though there is a wall a half inch behind the hand. If that was actually the case, shadpw falling on the paper, then the shadow behind the shoulder is too light and small. Also consider the source of light(s) and how shadows are cast. I don't think the outer glow if that is what it is adds anything either.

Nice attempt. If I were you, I'd make a few more changes, then put it away and get started with a fresh new image and idea, like your pic of your son. But make the OOB illusion more dramatic. Sometimes it's the best solution, moving on.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Evil said:
That's not a microphone

LOL!! No it's not! I was in a hurry and did not look closely! Looks like a gas line to me!

Chitkaran - Your welcome.

The one with your new son looks good. It looks like your still putting a shadow inside the frame......

View attachment 24467

Just wondering why?
I ask because you would not normally see this kind of a shadow in a printed photograph.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry to ask Chitkaran, I was looking at your OOB, did you add the frog or was it part of the original photo?

I agree with OJ about the flames.
I never said anything about flames, but you just read my mind, really I was thinking about fake flames in this image..:rolleyes:

LOL!! No it's not! I was in a hurry and did not look closely! Looks like a gas line to me!

:rofl: lolz man you made my day.. it's not even a gas line... it's smoking pipe man.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Evil said:
lolz man you made my day.. it's not even a gas line... it's smoking pipe man.
Glad to help! Heheheeee! Smoking Pipe......yeah right, it's a gas line and I'm sticking to that one!

My memory doesn't make it past 2 posts apparently. :cry:

Mine neither clare, it's no big deal but then I use my mouse to scroll / go back to previous page..

@chitkaran

keep practicing mate, eventually you'll get it, just look at those links posted by clare in the OOB challenge 4 thread in the very first post.

chitkaran

Guru
Sorry to ask Chitkaran, I was looking at your OOB, did you add the frog or was it part of the original photo?

It was a part of the original image... Here's how it looks

DSC02832.JPG

Anyone willing to get this OOB done.. ? I know you guys are better than me..

I want to get this printed and place it on my Bedside table in a Frame...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think OOB of your son looks good! Your doing a great job! Don't give up yet.

I think it's the shadow inside the frame that's causing the problem. Try removing it.

Also, you might try increasing the width of the photo frame like this:

View attachment 24508

Hope this helps.