What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo improvement

egosbar

Guru
not entirely happy but not bad i guess for only knowing photoshop for a week , my brain hurts lol , so much too learn

Attachments

• with backround.jpg
    with backround.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 25

ibclare

Queen Bee
Why does your background look like it is fused to the girl? It curves along her outline rather than running behind her.

Regardless, I think it is comparatively too 3 dimensional, too sharp. The resolution of the background is better than the foreground, so it needs to be blurred or to have her shadow projected on it or something that makes it recede.

egosbar

Guru
dont be afraid of removing a few pixels of the girl.
no one will notice

remember guys im a week old at photoshop , removing pixels is a blank to me what does that mean , i know the pic is obviously made of pixels but removing them mmmmmmm which ones and why

the backround i agree i dont like it thats why i posted it , how do i fix it , im guessing make the backround a total cover then add her to it , i made the selection of not the girl and then filled in the backround, if you could put me on the right track that would be good

ibclare

Queen Bee
The girl needs to be a selection on her own layer. Then you create a layer below her, ctl/cmd + click on layer icon. Then paste the background onto this layer. Don't fill in on same layer as girl.

egosbar

Guru
this is my finished photo , using this site for projects to learn more, going ok , starting to get my head around layers , i actually put the two ( original and touched) used a layer mask to paint back in the hair down near her shoulder but it just didnt look right so i took it out i think its much neater

would love some critism or comments

Attachments

• 3 latest backround finished.jpg
    3 latest backround finished.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 11

egosbar

Guru
looking at it on here , maybe the left hand side the brush i used to clone could be harder so she is off the backround a little more , what do you think

iDad

Guru
try dropping a shadow on it, >menue bar>layer>layer styles>

egosbar

Guru
never used shadows , i can see where it is but im not getting anything happening , ive even set all the sliders to max just to see an effect in the preview , can you explain a little more please id like to give it a go for the learning experience

iDad

Guru
use your cursor while you have the dropshadow window open(over the image) try locating it that way......... play around with the settings you have gotten this far, you should be able to pick it up pretty good

egosbar

Guru
trying everything , im in the drop shadow window , im using a new layer but getting no changes at all , do i just work on the new layer which im trying to do , bloody frustrating when you cant get things working lol

sorry mate very new to this

iDad

Guru
You need fill or an image within that layer for it to show a shadow if it's blank you are not going to see a shadow

gtg BBL

egosbar

Guru
sorry just not getting it to work , ive tried duplicating the flattened image and getting no shadows at all , ill try to utube it

egosbar

Guru
ok got it working although it doesnt look natural , is this what you were talking about?

had to cut the girl into a new layer add the shadow , merge them back together and move the shadow layer on top ,is this how you would of done it , as i said it doesnt work unless im doing something wrong

Attachments

• shadowed.jpg
    shadowed.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 23

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Go into shadow properties and change Distance and Size. You can get to the extra setting by actually clicking on the words Drop Shadow in case you didn't know.

egosbar

Guru
i played with the size etc , problem was the shadows came out the other side of the girl as well , i guess the point was to at least get one working , might play around later im bushed , not too unhappy with the previous photo compared to original

ibclare

Queen Bee
I think it's time for you to move one. Call this a learning experience and practice. Now find another image you really like and work on selecting it, then placing it in a new background, just like you did this one. Sometimes it helps to close the door and wander on to the next. You'll probably find it quite surprising how differently you understand it at that point.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Still-learning

Offcourse I could not resist myself to give it a try;

pic3.jpg