What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo improvement

MrLOD

So...a friend of mine asked if I could improve the quality of a picture so that it looks as if it taken by a better camera. I agreed and after two weeks of hard work...I got nothing...
Is anyone willing to give it a shot? If not, are there are tutorials that I should watch?
pic3.jpg

Last edited:

iDad

Guru
change the background to a nice backdrop will improve it significantly but evil is right mobile phone picture has limitations

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
As has been said, change the backdrop, reduce noise, check levels and *maybe* a touch of skin smoothing.

MrLOD

Hello, see the problem is mobile taken pictures are almost come out with such quality, the main issue with the image is Noise which can be reduced but by sacrificing a bit detail but this doesn't mean that this can't be done... try reducing noise by using filter > noise > Reduce Noise or Median... then follow this tutorial :

http://tutorialpulse.com/photoshop-tutorials/superb-skin-airbrush-technique/
I read the tutorial. Thing is, I use GIMP. Will it work there the same way or should search for another tutorial?

change the background to a nice backdrop will improve it significantly but evil is right mobile phone picture has limitations
Yeah...mobile phones can offer so much, yet their cameras are still pretty bad.
As has been said, change the backdrop, reduce noise, check levels and *maybe* a touch of skin smoothing.
Skin smoothing...I have already tried it, but I will do it again. Slightly reducing noise will also help.

My improvement

pic_zps6b740fba.png

Wow! This is amazing! Thank you a lot!

Anyway, thank you everyone for the tips and for the improved image. Even though I can't make something that great I will also give it another try. Besides, I like learning new stuff.

Edit: I gave it another try. It's not great, but it's a little bit better. (I didn't know what to use as a background, so I just removed the one of the original image).
pic3.jpg
(I know that the shoulder doesn't look right...I might improve that tomorrow...)

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
WOW INKZ...that looks 100% better...great skin. How about a copy of the psd..I cannot get close!

MrLOD

I know that Inkz's work is a million times better than mine, but here is the picture with some more improvements:
PPPPP.jpg

MrLOD

I worked on it a little bit more...I'm starting to like it...what do you think? Is it actually better?
PPP.JPG

Last edited:

egosbar

Guru
I know that Inkz's work is a million times better than mine, but here is the picture with some more improvements:
View attachment 25191

first week using photoshop , learning a few things now still a bit confused as far as layers go sometimes lol but getting their , thought id give it a go , spent an hour on it but tired ive got some more work to do but ill see tomorrow

Attachments

• practice 1.jpg
    practice 1.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 31

MrLOD

first week using photoshop , learning a few things now still a bit confused as far as layers go sometimes lol but getting their , thought id give it a go , spent an hour on it but tired ive got some more work to do but ill see tomorrow
It's actually pretty nice. Thanks!
MrLOD i wish i could say it looks better but in my opinion the original looks better then your improvement.
thats just my opinion but to me it just looks blurred you have removed to much detail.
here is a tut that might help
http://creativetechs.com/tipsblog/how-to-smooth-skin-in-photoshop/
Yeah...I know that a lot of details were removed...I will give another try later. Or maybe tomorrow...

This is great! Good job!

Dataflow

Power User
the 1 thing that helps the image is the eyes.
i added a small white dot in each eye (reflection)

egosbar

Guru
bloody not easy to get it right , i think this one is getting closer, im happy anyway for the amount of time ive spent on photoshop

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Attachments

• maybe.jpg
    maybe.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 29

egosbar

Guru
amazing how hooked you get on one subject lol , shes a little light in the hair ill darken that tomorrow and add a backround

i agree you have to add white in the eyes to bring them too life , my first ones were too white i think the second picture the eyes are much better

egosbar

Guru
ive selected all the backround and can figure out how to fill those areas in with something that looks better , can someone put me on the right path its driving me mad

iDad

Guru
a quick google search of, say sunsets or something would look good add it as a separate layer behind the original

egosbar

Guru
yeah i was actually looking for a fill inside photoshop ive got it going now

ive merged sunsets etc before using a layer mask