What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Request: Is anyone able to help remove the girl's face from in-between ours?

MShelley86

i-x5HdL2m.jpg

Hi, I'm new here and was wondering if any of you guys could help me out.

I'd really like the girl's face removed from in between ours if that's possible. I've tried to do this myself, filling the gap with a solid colour or shading but it looks very obvious. You can also see her white dress between our legs at the bottom.

The picture is obviously quite blurry but I'm not sure much can be done about that. If this was the wrong place to request this, sorry!

Many thanks for your time,

Matt

Attachments

• OqJ1o.jpg
    OqJ1o.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 1

Inkz

Guru
It's an easy enough task to do....Especially with the skill levels of some of our members.

But also, please bear in mind, that this is mainly a discussion forum not a request forum. But saying that, a member may decide to help you out.

Welcome to PSG anyway.

chitkaran

Guru
Instead of filling it with Solid color, use the clone stamp tool and fill it with the stuff in the background... and for the white part of the dress again use the same method and clone the floor on it.. also pay close attention to the shadow

MShelley86

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I'm having a go with it now. I tried placing that part attached above, but it raises my shoulder up quite a bit, I don't really want to do that.

I've attached what I have so far. I still need to do the dress and the bit of fluff on my knee. I took a part from the top right of the scene, I'm still not completely happy with it. Any other attempts would be much appreciated, my Mum is looking to frame it!

retouch.jpg

MShelley86

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I'm having a go with it now. I tried placing that part, but it raises my shoulder up quite a bit, I don't really want to do that.

I've attached what I have so far. I still need to do the dress and the bit of fluff on my knee. I took a part from the top right of the scene, I'm still not completely happy with it. Any attempts would be greatly appreciated, my Mum wants to frame this!

retouch.jpg

egosbar

Guru
what about taking the entire backround out , if its for a frame , you could do all sorts of things

MShelley86

I would like to keep the background as it was a Christmas party and I want to keep the atmosphere in it.

I've removed the dress and the bit off fluff, but it's quite amateur-ish. Every time I look at the gap between our heads I immediately see the same bit to the right of the photo.

Final touch up.jpg

egosbar

Guru
done very quickly and obviously would of need a lot more work done but you get the idea

Attachments

• quick backround.jpg
    quick backround.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 37

ibclare

Queen Bee
Shelley, another option would be to select the background and give it a gaussian blur. Then you would keep the atmosphere but highlight yourselves. Also, though the white shirt is thoroughly blown out, you can still improve the detail and tones of various areas on the couple.

Here's my example:

Party.jpg

If you're interested, here's what I did:

• make the layer a smart object
  • select all the background
  • go to filter>blur>gaussian blur. I applied a 1.8
  • use the mask on the filter to paint with black if you want to soften the effect anywhere; I did a little of this in the closer area of the floor
  • make a selection of the faces, her arm and purse, his hand, her legs
  • add a layer adjustment; I used levels and brought up the black end and the gamma, the middle slider
  • use the layer mask to soften the effect of the levels adjustments where necessary (use a low opacity soft brush in black and go back and forth from white to black and so forth if needed)

I hope this helps. Just knowing various options is an important part of using Photoshop. :mrgreen:

Here's a screen capture of the psd in case it helps you see what I describe:

Party.PNG

Last edited:

MShelley86

That looks great, thanks. I'll definitely have a go at doing that too, I much prefer the blurred background.
Have you got the full jpg for that or the psd file?

ibclare

Queen Bee
I'm sorry, I deleted it when I shut down last night. :sad: Sorry I didn't hear from you sooner.

However, it is pretty easy to do if you follow the directions. :mrgreen:

ibclare

Queen Bee
By the way, I wasn't looking at the sharpness. As egobar did, you can use the filter>sharpen>unsharp mask or one of these options to sharpen the details. Or you can use high pass, but that is a bit advanced.

Once you make the selection for the blur, you will have a mask.
Duplicate your layer and delete the blur filter (drag the icon to the trash).
Ctl/cmd click on the blur mask on the layer below.
Now be sure the new layer is selected.
Invert the selection (shift + ctl/cmd + I) and apply filter>sharpen, trying the options available.

Alternatively, you can duplicate the layer, select the couple, then apply the sharpen filter.

MShelley86

Thanks for your help ibclare, I learnt a few good things.
I followed your steps above and got the following image. I'm really happy with it now!
Edit complete2.jpg