What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Linking an Adjustment Layer to two separate layers

kpts4tv

Hello,
I am wondering if there is a way to create an adjustment layer that only affects two layers that are spread apart. What I'd like to be able to do is change the color of both layers at the same time.

Layers.jpg

The problem is, I can't group the layers together and add an adjustment to the group because one of the layers (Number Color Flare) has to stay on top of the rest.

Hopefully this makes sense to everyone. Any suggestions?

kpts4tv

Why don't you create 2 separate adjustment layers ?

Well, I'm trying to have the two linked, that way when I change one, the other changes as well. I'm trying to streamline the process of changing colors on a lower third graphic.

ibclare

Queen Bee
As far as I know, it can't be done if they aren't grouped together. I do know what you're saying. All I can suggest is to change one, then copy the adjustment layer to the other. Some actions don't have shortcuts.

I'd love to learn otherwise if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong clare, this can't be done I'm not sure if linking the layers or changing the blend mode from pass through would do any good as I'm in office right now and don't have photoshop installed.

SCTRWD

Power User
It can not be done in general. But if you simply want to change colors of different layers you can use Smart Objects:

Add Solid Color layer above one of your layers. Clip them in a Clipping group. Convert color layer to Smart Object.

Copy Smart Object over another layer. Clip them in a Clipping group. Repeat this process for every layer you want to change color.

Now you can just open Smart Object layer, change it's color, save and see all your layers change their colors.