What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making clothing look more life like

rufinatti

Power User
Zugfrig,

I was just in the middle of writing out a long tutorial detailing the steps I took; but it seems you've already figured things out. Good job.

If you are trying to bring out your wrinkles a little more, you might try adjusting the levels of the white tshirt layer to make the shadows stand out more. Also, you might try lowering the opacity of your color overlays just a little bit to allow more of the shadows beneath to show through.

Listen to RTContent's advice, though. He is an actual artist and knows what he is talking about. Whereas I am just a newbie and am making this stuff up as I go.

Zugfrig78

Guys I really appreciate all your help so far, great to have forum people who like to share knowledge.

its amazing, the more you play the more results you can get.

ok so I'm reading that the two improvements I need to tackle are softening the edges of the jumper and playing with shadows on the base t-shirt image.. the tshirt thing I know (think i know) how to adjust to get different shadow results but if you could just advise a little more on how to soften the edge of a color fill layer that would be great.

also just a thought, would applying some kind of directional lighting help.

im sure I've stumbled on that feature before. Perhaps if I aim some "sunlight" coming from the same direction as it is on the players skin it might help make it look like he is actually wearing the jumper.

otherwise it's already 1000 times more realistic than my original attempt. :) Cheers

RTContent

Power User
It's not the edges on the color fill layer that you'll need to worry about (at least I don't think so if you've done it right). It's the layer mask on the original t-shirt image that you'll need to adjust. Just use the brush tool switching back between a soft black/white brush to clear those up.

In terms of lighting, you can use the brush again on a new layer to paint shadows and highlights in the places you think they should exist then turn down the opacity to make it blend in nicely.

Also if you can upload your up to date psd file we can have a look to see how you're organizing yourself.

Zugfrig78

can you beleive ive forgotton how i got the white and black layers to have the little arrow next to them

Zugfrig78

lol, that did it... i must have stubled across that in the first place.. but thats got it... now im just going to play with the shadows of the ripples