What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending options and style help, Gurus?

Paolo Publico

I just started working with Photoshop.. Does anyone here know what settings I can use to create a style for the text to look like this?
215366.jpg
As of now, I just used a stroke thickness of 3 for the lining in the blending options :neutral: I don't know how to create the filled area.

Thank you :D
Please include how to make the different settings for the gold one, and for the silver one too. :lol: Thanks!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Paolo, there are hundreds of ways to do this. The text effect you posted is fairly simple to create but also somewhat involved, so I will give it a try.

Step 1. Create a new document. Create the text.

PaoloTextStep01.jpg

Step 2. Duplicate the text layer two times. You always keep the original and work with duplicates. Turn off the original text layer by clicking the eye. Take the first duplicated text layer and add a layer style stroke. Turn off the stroked layer.

PaoloTextStep02.jpg

Step 3. Rastorize the second duplicated text layer. Create a new layer on top of the second, rastorized duplicated text layer, leave it highlighted. Select the text from the second rastorized duplicated text layer by command/control + clicking it's thumbnail. You should see the marching ant selection around the text.

Step 4. Go to SELECT > MODIFY > CONTRACT. Chose 4 and hit OK.

PaoloTextStep03.jpg

Step 5. You should notice the marching ant selection became smaller. Now go to SELECT > INVERSE, then hit delete. Hit Command + D. You should now have a text layer that looks like this....

PaoloTextStep04.jpg

Step 6. Create a new layer on top of this reduced text layer and name it gradient. Make sure the gradient layer is highlighted. Drag a horizontal guide line to the center of the text. Choose the PEN TOOL and create a wavy line through the center of the text (indicated by skinny arrow). Complete the path. Right click and choose "make selection" (indicated by larger arrow).

PaoloTextStep05.jpg

You should have something looking like this...

PaoloTextStep06.jpg

Step 7. Go to VIEW > CLEAR GUIDES. Select your GRADIENT TOOL and chose the "foreground to background" gradient. Set your foreground and background colors to your desired colors. Pull a gradient from top to bottom. Command/control + D to deselect when your done.

PaoloTextStep07.jpg

Step 8. You should still have the gradient layer highlighted. Select the reduced text layer by Command/control + clicking the thumbnail. Go to SELECT > INVERSE then hit delete. Should look like this...

PaoloTextStep08.jpg

Hit Command/Control + D to deselect.

Step 9. Turn on the layer that we added the stroke and you should be done!

PaoloTextFinal.jpg

Last edited:

Paolo Publico

Thank you! Sorry if it took long before I replied, twas busy in school.. The tutorial is easy to understand for beginners like me, it took a short time to do it, and yet it was simple :D Btw, here's the output.. Just an application of my experiments with blur.. :DADX proposal.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks great Paolo! The text looks just like you wanted it and I really like the rotational blur, good job!

Paolo Publico

A follow-up question if you don't mind.. Any specific web color i can use to imitate the gold one on my image? The silver (or black and white gradient) looks just fine, but I don't usually get contented with the gold one. Any suggestions?

And is it really a drop shadow with 0 distance and not stroke?

Thanks again!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Paolo, long time no see!

I use THIS PAGE as a starting point when I'm looking for specific colors. Find the Gold color that you like from the list, enter the Hex #, and then make adjustments from there. Try variations until it looks right to you.

It's hard to tell from the original image whether or not it's a stroke. You can try the the technique without the stroke and add a drop shadow to see how it would look! That's the beauty of Photoshop, you can change everything if you like!