What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with Action : Hide/Show layers and export

roberthein

Hi Everyone,

Im i trying to save some time and manual work by using an action or script to do most of the work for me, but cant seem to figure out how to do it right...

Now its for a jewellery customisation site, where you can choose ring, stone, colour etc.

I have all images as separate images (on white background) but placed in exact the same position, so they can be placed right on top of each other and exported. Even though its a fairly simple process this would take a long time, as there are many combinations!

Can anyone help with a solution how this can be done faster?

Thanks in advance.

//Rob

Ross Ozarka

You want to use Actions.

1. Go Window > Actions
2. Press the "new layer" button and give your action a descriptive name.
3. It is automatically recording everything you do (the red button is depressed) so perform exactly what you want the automation to do.
4. Press the stop button. Whenever you want to perform the action, press the "play" button, or for big projects, go File > Automate... and choose your action from the first dropdown menu.

To save an action, you must place it in a folder. Photoshop won't let you save individual actions for some reasons. So press the folder icon in the Actions panel, name your folder, and drag your action in there. Then go to the flyout menu, click "Save Actions" and save it wherever you choose. Use "Load Actions" to bring them back whenever you want them.

roberthein

Hello Ross,

Thanks for your reply.

I do know how to make use actions :) But im unsure how i deal with this scenario..
What i need is an action to hide/show layers from one end to another no matter how many layers in the file or what name the layers have. And then save a jpg every time a layer is visible... not sure if i make sense?

Or imagine your bottom layer is a ring, and on top i have 50 layers of stones, and now you want photoshop to save a jpg with every stone on the ring..

Hope this helps.. And that someone can help me saving time..

//R

You want to use Actions.

1. Go Window > Actions
2. Press the "new layer" button and give your action a descriptive name.
3. It is automatically recording everything you do (the red button is depressed) so perform exactly what you want the automation to do.
4. Press the stop button. Whenever you want to perform the action, press the "play" button, or for big projects, go File > Automate... and choose your action from the first dropdown menu.

To save an action, you must place it in a folder. Photoshop won't let you save individual actions for some reasons. So press the folder icon in the Actions panel, name your folder, and drag your action in there. Then go to the flyout menu, click "Save Actions" and save it wherever you choose. Use "Load Actions" to bring them back whenever you want them.

hawkeye

Guru
Check the help files for variables and data sets. I'm not quite sure what you're after but it might work for you.