What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do I lift text and a small image from the background?

Micaela91

Hey guys!

I hope I'm in the right place here, please don't shout at me because I'm new to photoshopgurus :)

So I have a .jpg image (just a plain flat image, no layers) which mostly consists of text and one small image; I need to lift the text and the image from the background so I can change the background color, then put the text back again. It seems like this should be simple but I'm really battling :redface: if anyone could help out that would be really awesome :)

chrisix

Guru
use the pen tool (p) and trace a path around the letter,
then right click the path>make selection.
press ctrl+c to copy that selection.
now press ctrl+shift+n to create a new layer
ctrl+v to paste the selection into the new layer
now you can go back to the old layer (in the layer window on the right) and change the background

&shouts at you for posting in the wrong section

Paul

Former Member
And another thread with a million hits 'potentially':mrgreen:

Micaela91

Thanx Chrisix! Very Helpful! I am now able to complete a masterpiece! ha ha just kidding, but the artwork will now look perfect! Thanx!

chrisix

Guru
haha, you got me curious now,
Will you post the final result here? ^^

Micaela91

ha ha Well like I said, I was just kidding about the "masterpiece" its a very simple artwork for some labels :) was just confused as to how to lift the text off to change the background ;)Romantic Romemsco.jpg

chrisix

Guru
aah, in this case the background is just black, so you can have a way easier way.
open the image
ctrl+shift+n to create a new layer
then place the background image you want on that layer.
then in the layer window (on the right) drag the background layer underneath the label layer.
then in the layer window (on the right) set the blending mode of the label layer to lighten

then you get something like this

kiss.png

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
You can't beat free advertising can you?

Micaela91

There's just no way of fighting it, it's too strong to resist! ha ha I'm just kidding, but seriously, that was the artwork I needed help with :) besides, I doubt many of you are from South Africa, so I'm sure it wouldn't matter anyway :)

chrisix

Guru
urg, was in KwaZulu-Natal, not far away from Howick >_<
And no, I didn't go to the waterfall

Tracy Mapes

pastafan2.gif

Use a Channel Mask, Make a Red Channel Copy and then Press the Selection Button in the Channels Palette to Make Your Selection. You Can Clean=up the Mask by Applying Image>Adust>Levels, and increase the Black Levels Slightly.

Here's a PSD to Give You the Idea. The GIF Speaks for Itself.

Take Care,

-Tracy

Attachments

• Romantic Romemsco.psd
    2.5 MB · Views: 0