What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Halftone Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp

So Tom did you ever try to answer IamSam's question? Has anyone made any progress on this effect?

bjalumbaugh

One way to achieve a similar effect would be to bitmap the same image 4 or 5 times at different angles using the halftone line option. Then convert them back to grayscale, layer them on top of each other, and delete certain sections of layers. Here's my test with that.

Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 2.15.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-16 at 2.15.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-16 at 2.15.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-16 at 2.15.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-16 at 2.15.12 PM.png

SCTRWD

Power User
I once used this little trick to make Halftones more appealing.

First choose Halftone Screen parameters that give you the look you like. Return to original image.

Now use one of the Distort filters with the reversibility property - that is the ones which for every distortion with some parameters can be applied again with reverse parameters thus effectively returning the image to more or less original state. The examples of such Filters are: Displace, Pinch, Polar Coordinates, Shear, Spherize, Twirl, ZigZag.

Distort the original image with one or more of these filters. Turn it to Bitmap with the Halftone Screen parameters you chose. Turn it back to Grayscale mode and apply the same filters backwards with reverse parameters.

This way you can turn the dull, regular looking Halftones into curved ones at the same time keeping their main function.

The best results are achieved with big resolutions and quite a few of try and probe. Making an action for turning image to Bitmap and then to Grayscale helps a lot:)

I used this method to replace the POTUS image on the C-note. I made a tutorial for that but it's in Russian, sorry:frown:

Also, try and google "engraver filter"...

cuica

I can create .AHS files, but I can't reload them.

I select Image>Mode>Bitmap, and then choose Halftone Screen from the dropdown list, then click OK.

On the next dialogue I click 'Load' and select the .AHS file I created earlier, but the pattern in my .AHS file does not get loaded into the dropdown list. I'm left with the standard PS options of 'Round, Diamond, Ellipse, Line, Square, Cross'.

Any ideas? I'm using CS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.