What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Halftone Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp

How can I create a custom halftone screen? I have tried to define a pattern and use that, and have over layed a pattern with hard-mix but I cannot seem to get as clear results as these. Any help would be appreciated.

url.png
url-7.jpeg

Create the pattern that you want on a new layer. For the most dramatic / sharpest results, it should be done in pure blacks and pure whites (even though the rest of the image is in color). Set the blending mode to darken, and you are done.

Attached is a simple example with relatively thick diagonal black lines on top of an ordinary portrait.

T

Attachments

• DSD_5900b_jpg-xnv_650px_wide_for_web-01_diagonal_black_lines.jpg
    DSD_5900b_jpg-xnv_650px_wide_for_web-01_diagonal_black_lines.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 77
I understand what you are saying but I do not see how this addresses my issue? I am trying to create a halftone with lines that will describe the image and not simply be layered on top. The lines after being applied will get thicker and smaller to substitute for gray-tone.

Yeah, I have done all that research and cant quite get the results I am after (like the examples I have attached), that is why I joined this forum. Most of those pages explain how to do simple halftone separations for screen-printing or how to make custom images to act as the dot in the dot pattern. The halftone filter gives very poor results, the bitmap technique seems to be the best but you are limited to PS default patterns (dot, line, ellipse, diamond cross, etc.). I am trying to figure out how to make my own line pattern and use bitmap>halftone screen, or something that will give me that effect.

Well, as Tom indicated above, you will need to create your pattern which will then be overlaid on the image. From looking at the images you posted thats what was done there.

BTW, I really do not think what you are trying to do is called a Halftone Screen,,,,but I could be wrong about this.

Just a thought,,,,, do you want to try to create lines like those that are used to make cheques, bills (currency), and bonds, difficult to replicate? If so, I THINK the process (or perhaps the pattern) is called guilloché . Check out SOME of the images here (the serch term in google image was "guilloché") http://www.google.ca/search?q=guill...KWS2QXTl4GACw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=975&bih=589 and if you see the sort of thing you are after try searching for a plug-in for PS that may give you the effect you are looking for (see the link below).

At the link above you will find a range of guilloché patterns. Some of these are made up of lines that follow the curves of a body. If this is what you are after I suspect you will have to do this manually (but of course I could be wrong about this).

On the other hand, if what you want is just to create patterns that you can overlay on your photos then you will find many programs and plug-ins that can help you accomplish this on the net many of which can be found here (the search term for this one was "guilloché pattern generator" http://www.google.ca/search?num=100...109,d.b2I&fp=247613fb78f4a6f7&biw=975&bih=589

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
My apologies, JMP. I initially thought you were using the term, "halftone screen" incorrectly and were simply looking for a crisp overlaid pattern.

re: your comment: "...the bitmap technique seems to be the best but you are limited to PS default patterns (dot, line, ellipse, diamond cross, etc.). I am trying to figure out how to make my own line pattern and use bitmap>halftone screen, or something that will give me that effect...."

Are you aware that you can use your own custom pattern in making the bitmap, and that while the example I show below is just one of the standard patterns bundled with PS, it can be much larger and almost anything you want?

Tom M

Attachments

• screen_shot-bitmap-custom_pattern.jpg
    screen_shot-bitmap-custom_pattern.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSD_5900b_jpg-xnv_650px_wide_for_web-02_custom_bitmap_pattern.jpg
    DSD_5900b_jpg-xnv_650px_wide_for_web-02_custom_bitmap_pattern.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 71
...or that instead of just a custom pattern as I mentioned in my previous post, you can save and load your own half-tone screens, ie:

Attachments

• screen_shot-you_can_make_your_own_half_tone_screen.jpg
    screen_shot-you_can_make_your_own_half_tone_screen.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 75
Tom, what format do I save a custom made halftone screen in so that I can load it when prompted as pictured above?

Tom, thank you for your help. I have been playing with using a custom pattern for a while now and have found it very difficult and cumbersome to get decent results. You are also limited to using one pattern at a time, where as the 1st example I attached has three different patterns used. I was hoping someone whould know how to same a custom pattern so I could get real clean results as the examples have.

As to saving and loading a screen, you have to save as an ahs. file. The catch is that you can only save as an ahs. file from that dialog box you attached. Once again you are limited to the screen shapes that PS has provided, so you can see how frustrating this can be.

Does anyone know how to create a design and save it as an .ahs file to be loaded into the halftone screen dialog box?

I thought the objective MIGHT be to do this sort of thing, is this called a half-tone screened image?images.jpeg

Custom halftone screens are saved in *.ahs files. I'm not at my PS computer, but if I'm not mistaken, these files contain both the screen settings (eg, angles) as well as the pattern, but it's been ages since I've needed to do this. Also, as I recall, it's good to blur things a bit to get smoother transitions.

These citations should be of some help:

http://www.thedesignplaybook.com/photoshop-halftone-effects/
- - - scroll down to "extra credit"

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/359891

Gotta run.

Tom

I thought the objective MIGHT be to do this sort of thing, is this called a half-tone screened image?View attachment 31558

Good link on the subject Tom, thanks,,,,,,

So, is the effect in the image I posted above (and in the quote for this post) called a half tone screen? Just wondering.

Last edited:
That's a good question, Bgood.

I think of a halftone screen as produced automatically, or, at least semi-automatically. The image you cited looks like an old fashioned hand engraving like one would see on currency. So, on that ground, I wouldn't consider it in the same category as a halftone screen. OTOH, it does have some of the characteristics of one such as the linewidths continuously varying.

T

PS - Also, my impression is that a ""guilloché" is the geometric pattern, not the process of putting such a pattern on a plate (engraving), or the process of printing with that plate.

PS #2 - Nope. My PS#1 was wrong, at least in some circles. The term, especially when capitalized is more than just the geometry of the pattern. According to Wikipedia, it was named for a French engineer who made a mechanical engraving machine. However, according to the Free On-line dictionary, the term only applies to the geometry of the pattern, especially in architecture.

Last edited:
Tom, I tried the file extension .ahs (adobe halftone screen) and Ps CS6 say's it's not compatible. Is there another extension for macs?

Sam, did you generate the ahs (Adobe halftone screen) file by first making a custom halftone screen and then saving it using the dialog box that I posted earlier in this thread. I don't think any other way will work.

T

Tom said:
Sam, did you generate the ahs (Adobe halftone screen) file by first making a custom halftone screen and then saving it using the dialog box that I posted earlier in this thread. I don't think any other way will work.

Yes. To the letter. When I press LOAD and then select the .AHS file I created earlier, I get the not compatible message.

Hi Sam - Thanks for bumping this thread. I'm not at my PS computer, so I can't check definitively, but I will comment that the last time I used this feature was several years ago, in an earlier version of PS, maybe around CS3, so things might have changed. If I get a chance, I'll look at it late tonight. Unfortunately, I've got to be back here again early tomorrow AM, so no promises about a response tonight. I'll try.

T

No problem and thanks! I'm really interested in this effect and it's one of the few that I can't reproduce with Photoshop and that is certainly a challenge! Your solution should work if we can just come up with the right extension for CS6 (Mac).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back