What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you ***insert** (not add over) a line in Photoshop CS6?

John23456

I want to insert a line quickly to an image by making the part below or above shifted vertically by resizing the whole image by the width of line.

Does Photoshop CS6 provide tools to do it? I do not want to cut the image into two parts, add a line , and then concatenate all three parts, because it takes a long time.

John23456

CLARIFICATION: the inserted line is horizontal, from left to right edge, across the whole image

ibclare

Queen Bee
IDK about anybody else, but I need clarification! What really are you trying to do?

Here's where you lose me: " by resizing the whole image by the width of line." I think you mean you don't want to lose any part of the image, so use your crop tool to extend the canvas till you include the entire original image after making your changes with the line and such.

Anyway, if you are wanting to move top and bottom parts of image apart basically and have a line show between, it is a 2-step process if you do it with the marquee tool.

Bottom layer, fill with color or pattern, or make layer above image to add your line. Image layer, use rectangular marquis to select half of image, change tool to move tool, arrow your half image into place. If you're satisfied, third step, merge the layers. Doesn't seem like much in the way of concatenation to me. But maybe this isn't what you mean.

Last edited:

RTContent

Power User
I'm lost as well. If you could perhaps post the psd of your attempt, that might allow us understand your situation better.