What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pattern and Gradient Fading to transparent single shape?

cmagill

Hi Guys,

I'm coming from Fireworks.

A technique I use often in my ui work is to combine a texture with a gradient that fades the gradients color and the pattern to transparent.

In Fireworks, this can be done on a single layer with no mask. The transparency of the gradient affects the pattern.

This is not the case in Photoshop. I am wondering how I can accomplish the same thing in Photoshop, while keeping everything vector.

Thanks

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Apply an image mask on the image layer. Click the mask icon in layer pallet to make it active. Make sure your foreground and background colors are set at default. Select gradient tool and apply appropriate gradient (on the layer mask).

radient.jpg

Hope this is what you meant.

SPWA

Power User
This is a really cool effect. Just to clarify for myself though, so I know I'm understanding it. This is working along the same principles of Black = Transparant that was mentioned in another post about masking?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping todo it without a pixel based mask though

I don't use Fireworks so I don't know how the gradient affects the original image.

In PS, with a mask you can edit without affecting the image permanently. Delete the mask, the image is still there.

There's another way - but this is destructive to the image. A gradient applied directly on the image layer.....

gradient2.jpg

You have to select a foreground to transparent gradient and make sure to check the transparency box as shown in my screengrab.... Save this image edit as a copy.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
This is a really cool effect. Just to clarify for myself though, so I know I'm understanding it. This is working along the same principles of Black = Transparant that was mentioned in another post about masking?

Yes it does.

In this case usage, its black hides, white reveals.

If you followed what I posted earlier , and painted black on the mask over the palm tree area, it will "hide" what you paint over. If you paint white on the hidden area, it will show the image directly underneath.

cmagill

I don't use Fireworks so I don't know how the gradient affects the original image.

In PS, with a mask you can edit without affecting the image permanently. Delete the mask, the image is still there.

True, my main concern though is that in up-sizing a pixel based mask as suggested here would pixelate. There doesn't seam to be an easy way to create vector gradient masks in Photoshop, although you can do vector gradients and vector masks