What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any map makers here?

Tristen Shaw

Hey guys,

I'm looking for someone that knows how to make fantasy maps with photoshop.

I'm looking into making a map for a book I'm working on. I'm not looking to draw one by hand, just to more or less generate one.

I remember doing one a while back, had something to do with noise filters or something like that, though I'm sure there are different techniques.

Anyway, thanks all!

Like a map like the LotR map with Mordor and the mountains etc?

These map brushes could be of us - here

Not quiet generating I know, but close with an old map texture.

.. or you could look for a generator online - such as this one I found with a quick Google search - here

..or this

Last edited:
since you are looking for one for your book, i guess it needs to match the land discription in your book?

I did do a vintage looking map once, unfortunately i cant find it anymore

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting project. I do agree though, having an idea of how it fits with the book context, maybe even a synopsis. that would help a lot.

I'm going to have to agree with Chris, especially when you have not specified exactly what king of map, and what level of detail you are wanting. I think the biggest issue is, we don't know what is in your head as a vision of what this town, world, universe may look like.

Just to clarify, The lord of the rings is not fantasy past, it starts about December 3018 of the Third Age on a totally fantasy planet, Middle-earth is the central continent of the imagined world, not a name of the entire world. Without any relation to our chronological orders, it can be classed as future, present, and past at the same time. So if anything it should be classed as si-fi, as it is fiction about life on another planet in another planetary system somewhere, some of which have powers and tech that go against our scientific laws.

In the same respect, saying you book is in the future still doesn't really help us, as how far in the future are we talking? How do you think technology will have advanced by this time, and what kind of evolution will humans as a species go through? Is it set on Earth or have we all gone to Mars, where we live with aliens, and have to pay the evil regime just to receive air to breath?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies so far!

I didn't think of including storyline information such as the year and such because I didn't think it would have a bearing on a map.

Lets see. I'm in the initial stages of planning for it, and at the moment I don't have a particular image in mind for this planet. I'm pretty flexible in that area.

A basic overview of my story is that it takes place around 400 - 500 years from now. Humans have colonized not only our solar system but many many other planets.

Now, many of the colonies are free and have formed a number of their own governments. The two largest of these groups The Dalmarian Kingdoms and The United Colonial Federation have just recently signed a truce after a particularly bloody war.

The story takes place on the planet of Calimbria which was an important planet during the war because it's solar system and the planet itself were extremely rich in resources. Unfortunately by the time the war had ended, this planet pretty well lays in ruins and in the middle of a neutral zone that doesn't allow for relief supplies to reach the planet.

So now the planet is divided by numerous groups struggling for resources and land. War is commonplace across the entire planet.

And evolution is not an issue in this story. Humans are the same as they are now in real life.

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:

Back