What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CC vs Photoshop CS??

Steve

Retired Administrator
There's a lot of confusion about Adobe's new Creative Cloud.
It's assumed that all Adobe products will be available via a monthly subscription only, and that may be true.
I found this post by Scott Kelby, a Photoshop heavy weight.

My Adobe Creative Cloud Quick Q&A

Read the article and you'll see 2 comments that seem to contradict the subscription only assumption most people have.

Q.Do I have to sign-up for a Creative Cloud membership or can I just upgrade like always?
A. Nope—you can just upgrade like always.

Q.What if it’s not for me?
A. That’s totally cool. You can pretend the Creative Cloud doesn’t exist, and just pay up front for upgrades and full versions of the software like you used to. The Creative Cloud is an option — one that makes sense for a lot of people who can’t handle the up-front costs of the regular Creative Suite, but if it’s not for you, no biggie.
~~~~~

I'm posting this with very limited knowledge on how CC will work and what it means to those of us individuals that have single licenses for Adobe products.
I'm making this post a sticky and hope any PS_CC comments and updates will be posted here until we understand what this means to us.

Steve

Hoogle

Guru
I also heard rumours they were thinking about doing set stage marks similar to how it is now so say in years time they will release a retail version full product. So lets hope this is true. I think adobe have rethought it being 100% subscription somewhere along the lines

Steve

Retired Administrator
I sure hope so or they could loose some of us individual license users.
Adobe was swayed by the CS5 ONLY update to CS6, hopefully they'll see the unintended negative consequences of a subscription only system for ALL PS users.

iDad

Guru
I don't like not knowing, until things are etched in stone,no more adobe updates for me. This guessing game is just a pita if you ask me.

I know I know, no one asked,but I'm sayin! :cheesygrin:

I know I'm rehashing what I have said earlier, but like most big changes forced on people by big companies like this, there are going to be a lot of teething problems that need sorting out. I'm certainly going to wait at least a year before thinking about committing to this. CS6 is plenty powerful enough to last another year.

Every review I have seen done by prolific Photoshopers have varied in the explanation of how it will all work, and by the looks of things, I don't think Adobe have quite made their mind up about it either.

Hoogle

Guru
Just thought I would share this. However official it is I do not know but seems like it could be legit

Adobe is looking into different Creative Cloud subscription options following the massive online backlash after their announcement that future Photoshop versions will be available only through a monthly subscription. The company recently sent out a survey to a selected users about the Creative Cloud, specifically about a new pricing structure of $9.99 for Photoshop or $29.99 for the entire suite on a 3 years contract which includes a permanent copy of CS6 after 3 years and a promise to continually update CS6 to support future file and camera types. Sounds good to me!

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2013/06/16/a...cing-models-for-creative-cloud/#ixzz2X7mGZY00

Would deffo like a permanent copy after 1 year not three, not that I can see enough of a reason to upgrade from CS6 anyway.
It's still paying for software I won't own, only to get given a copy of what I already have after THREE years.

To me they have tryed to make it look as though they are giving us something, without actually giving us anything.

Hoogle

Guru
Well this does make it more worthwhile if you have anything below cs4/5 as your getting the whole creative suite for $1099 all be it cs6 and god knows what the difference will be in 3 years time, But they will also be updating cs6 (however that does not mean it will have new features added they may be just bug fixes. But the differences between cs5, cs6 and cc are really minimal particularly in ps. They have added gimmicks or fine tuned an older tool and renamed it.

The only real major advantage of cc in my eyes is the fact after effects now comes with cinema 4d lite built in or any version of cinema 4d you have it will use that. But if you are new to cinema 4d Then this is probably the best way to get into it is using after effects plugin as it is expensive software.

Question is has Adobe ran out of ideas to keep updating their software. Bringing in 3rd Parties as part of their products now minimal changes between versions could they be hiding the fact they are not doing much development wise behind the cloud which sends all updates as soon as they are done. Maybe this is to distract you from comparing differences between versions. Just a mini adobe conspiracy theory lol

It's why they have tried forcing the updates on people, they don't have any confidence in the new features.

Cinema 4d is reassuringly expensive, and will be affording the expense as soon as I upgrade my hardware. There should be tuts on here to show how to flatten meshes and render them on here.

zoephoto

ugg. The CC pisses me off. I just bought the CS6 upgrade for $550. I'm sure it will last me 2 years minimum, if not longer.. For the same two years I could have paid $960 for CC, but then if I stopped paying, no more photoshop for me! I'm sure after two years CS6 will still be doing just fine.

I shudder to think about 10 years from now if the policy doesn't change and better options don't surface, Adobe would be able to charge whatever they want because they would be holding anyone who needs to work on Adobe files hostage.

:mad2:

Steve

Retired Administrator
Re: Photoshop CC vs Photoshop CS?? UPDATE

Well here's an update and it seems like Adobe WILL NOT be issuing any more perpetual licensed software.
That means if you want to upgrade, you need to upgrade to CC.

From ProDesign Tools an Adobe partner:

* But if the Creative Cloud still isn't for you and you must have perpetual licensing, then last year’s CS6 will continue to be sold and supported by Adobe indefinitely.

INDEFINITELY?
We'll see.

iDad

Guru
So basically what it's adding up to is Adobe is cleaning house. If you know what I mean.

batjko

I've signed up to the CC Photography deal, which gave me both Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for $9.99 / month.

To me it was a good deal, because it was my first Photoshop purchase (I only used... let's call them "trial versions" before).
So financially, if I use both PS and LR regularly, it's not very much to pay in a month, and for that I get free updates for life, full applications to use etc, and if I ever stop needing it, I can cancel instantly.

I can see how people who have paid a lot of money for CS6 or earlier versions will want to wait until CC upgrades make it viable to switch. But it works fine for people like me.

It also works for Adobe of course, because making it a service product with monthly income, rather than constantly re-selling the same product anew, is the next logical step.

MikeMc

McGuru
I've signed up to the CC Photography deal, which gave me both Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for $9.99 / month.

To me it was a good deal, because it was my first Photoshop purchase (I only used... let's call them "trial versions" before).
So financially, if I use both PS and LR regularly, it's not very much to pay in a month, and for that I get free updates for life, full applications to use etc, and if I ever stop needing it, I can cancel instantly.

I can see how people who have paid a lot of money for CS6 or earlier versions will want to wait until CC upgrades make it viable to switch. But it works fine for people like me.

It also works for Adobe of course, because making it a service product with monthly income, rather than constantly re-selling the same product anew, is the next logical step.

I have resisted this for 2 plus years...I really love CS5.5 and until the latest additions resisted the cloud. Now I'm going to sign up and try it for 30 days..side by side If it works with my Topaz plug ins I will be set....Film at 11:00..............