What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with detail

AppleCorey

I'm pretty much almost terrible at anything creative, but I've tried to make a somewhat cartoon image.
It lacks a lot of things one of them being detail and I was hoping someone could help me out with it.
AppleCoreyFinal.jpg

Anything feedback would be appreciated.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi AppleCorey, and welcome!

This is a nice drawing. It would really help if you posted a much larger version of your image. It's not impossible, but really frustrating trying to work with such a small file.

Also, explain the technique you used to create your image.

AppleCorey

Thank you :3
Some of it was just freehand and other bits are just various images I've tried to combine.
What size would be ideal?

ibclare

Queen Bee
Large. LMAO.

As large as you have the original is fine, as long as it loads, 3500 X 3500 being the limit I believe. PSD is best.

Some of us like to work with the img in PS and demo our suggestions, so it helps to have a workable file.

One quick comment. Your apple has shading and highlights. The rest does not. You can make a layer over the face, select the face so your painting or whatever you do doesn't go over the lines. Then you can play with shading, highlights, and blend modes/opacities. At least that's what I would do. Working on separate layers is non-destructive, as I imagine you know.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean, though I can't know exactly what effect you mean to achieve:

cartoonDepth.jpg

Last edited:

AppleCorey

My knowledge of Photoshop is very limited and hence why I'm here to learn, but I'll take into account what you've said and give it a blast.

I don't have my Original file on this computer, and the best I can do is give you this one and the quality is pretty bad, but it's easy stuff to fix, but I don't know if this is any better.

AppleCoreyFinal1.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hi AppleCorey. I was editing my post about the same time you posted. Did you see the additions of shadow and highlight I made to it? BTW, I like your drawing. I assume you did the face, hair, and blindfold?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey AC, sorry so late in getting back to you, had to work.

Without the original file, I had to separate the different areas like, hair, face, bandanna, etc;.
I then made selections of these areas and painted in shadows and highlights as Clare did.

AppleCoreyFinal_01.png

AppleCoreyFinal_01.gif

AppleCorey

I'm really sorry I couldn't get the original file, but you've worked some magic here. It's perfect. I can't thank you enough for the help.

Paul

Former Member
That was fun...
redrew.jpg:mrgreen: I also added in the missing bit of blindfold:thumbsup:

AppleCorey

That's great, that part had been bugging me. Now I can centre the pic better now. Thank you very much it's awesome. I owe you guys :3

Paul

Former Member
What part of Brum you living at mate, i used to live there many years ago.

Paul

Former Member
Northfield yeah i remember that place, i used to live in Clent/Romsley cool place.