What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post-it Note

SPWA

Power User
Completely agree on the Cork bg. It was worse than that to start with. I added a White bg behind it & blended to try & soften but that's all I tried. I would like to soften it more though, not sure what else I can do.

BlueInGreen

I like it!

The specularity of the plastic part of the pin/tack is too soft - it needs to be more glossy.

I'm not sure of the best way to achieve that but try this but I'm sure it can be achieved by painting white (selectively!) in a new layer on top of the tack/pin.

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm not sure if this helps all that much, but I tried to better simulate the cracks in natural cork by using a 2 pixel displacement map (layer blending mode = darken) driven by a slightly blurred copy of your last cork. I also increased the contrast in the post-it area to try to match the increased contrast in the cork, but I think I over-did it.

It's definitely not easy to get a really good cork look.

T

PS - Here's the cork look I was trying to simulate:
https://gmav.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/Colour_Charts/corkBoard.jpg

Attachments

• Post-it-Note-2-tjm01_ps02a_displacement_map_contrast-01.jpg
    Post-it-Note-2-tjm01_ps02a_displacement_map_contrast-01.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 17

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Take a look at this TUTORIAL on corkboard.

edit:I don't know if it looks any better.

CorkboardPostit_01.png

Last edited:

SPWA

Power User
Thx for the comments.

@Tom Mann - I tried a few times to get a natural looking cork, but in the end I plumped for this simpler "synthetic" one, for the main reason of tiling. The seam isn't noticeable when you apply the pattern to a large area. I do like what you achieved though, I agree it's not the easiest thing to create completely digital.

The project result I was going for is this. I want to add some more choices to it also. It's basically a noticeboard. Which can be customised using the different choices, rotate each pin separately, etc. It can be for a desktop wallpaper or website elements.

Pinboard-with-Contents.png

I'm still debating whether to add a border, & how I would achieve a really nice one.