What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eye Candy

Paul

Former Member
Self taught is not professional, self taught is scamming through any industry.

iDad

Guru
I can agree with that. But when you say not a pro because someone's skill level or money intake is lower than yours, I can't agree. For the simple reason I can't cut someone short for not knowing a procedure to get a result but if they know the route to find out what they need to get there then its a step up the skill ladder. In my book even the best have to rely on the knowing at times. Professional, it's a tricky thing with the knowledge that's so readily available now a days. I prefer Experienced and how long ones been at something. As in life it's not what you know, it's how you find the answers.

besmirched

Power User
I hate it when you have several tabs open and duck into photoshop to do a quick edit, paste the picture in the thread reply with some gibbering explaining what I've done, hit reply only to find that I've posted in the wrong thread, grrrrrrrr.

ps guess where this was suppose to go ...doh.

Attachments

• gradient.jpg
    gradient.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Spectrum

I can agree with that. But when you say not a pro because someone's skill level or money intake is lower than yours, I can't agree. For the simple reason I can't cut someone short for not knowing a procedure to get a result but if they know the route to find out what they need to get there then its a step up the skill ladder. In my book even the best have to rely on the knowing at times. Professional, it's a tricky thing with the knowledge that's so readily available now a days. I prefer Experienced and how long ones been at something. As in life it's not what you know, it's how you find the answers.

Thats fair, but knowledge of PS and knowledge of industry are two different things. I think thats where the line is. For example, most non pros, even good ones, wouldn't know how to prepare a design brief for a client.

Spectrum

3DS Max, Cinema 4D, Blender, Lightwave, Maya, Rhino 3D, etc.

You're talking 3D. The discussion is about creating it in PS. Of course 3D looks great. I used to be a game designer, I am well aware of those programs, and reasonably well versed in Maya, but I don't use it much these days.

MikeMc

McGuru
Thats fair, but knowledge of PS and knowledge of industry are two different things. I think thats where the line is. For example, most non pros, even good ones, wouldn't know how to prepare a design brief for a client.
I was in camera service my career. I don't even want to know what a design brief is, nor make one. I shoot pictures and process them. I can do both pretty well, BUT I know my limits, if I take a project on for someone...paying or not , I must state that is by choice....I do not want to do anything more, Many cannot make and take pictures,I am blessed, I will be happy with my skills and keep improving them daily. That said I use Topaz plugins, as they give me more options in my workflow.

iDad

Guru
If all else fails, MOVE THE LINE..... And find your answer, always look ahead, the answer is somewhere. As yoda once said ( in the future) " young Jedi Photoshop master the answer lyes within you feel the google"......:rofl:

Spectrum

If all else fails, MOVE THE LINE..... And find your answer, always look ahead, the answer is somewhere. As yoda once said ( in the future) " young Jedi Photoshop master the answer lyes within you feel the google"......:rofl:

Sure, pushing your boundaries is a must in any industry. Its the guys I meet at parties, who have been using PS for 6 months, and when they ask what I do, and I tell them I'm a graphic designer by trade, and they reply with "Yeah? I'm a designer too!". I don't care if its just their hobby, but calling yourself a designer (and making it sound like its your career) when you just do it for fun is like calling yourself a mechanic because you can change a tyre. Its those people who make the public think anyone can design with little training or skill, and they are bringing down the public perception of the value of good design.

Industry calls them design cowboys, and they do things like offer $20.00 logos, and a lot of clients don't know the difference between good and bad design, so they come to me, and want a logo which will take me 2-8 hours to develop for the same price because they don't understand its not just the designing, but the competition research which takes time - something the $20.00 guy won't do, and the client could end up with a logo so similar to another company's, they can't use it.

Tom Mann

Guru
PS is a professional-grade image editing program. If you want to create an effect or style, yet are unable to because you lack the knowledge due to relying on plugins, and thus never investigated the manual methods, you aren't a professional.

I do understand the point you are trying to make and generally agree with your overall position, but IMHO, you are oversimplifying the situation.

For example, there are plenty of things that plugins can do that simply can't be done in PS or would take prohibitively long. For example, you can't do a spatial Fourier Transform in PS. It would be very difficult to do many of the "Filter Forge" geometric efx, efx such as Medhi's weaver, Sorting Tiles, or Vibrations, etc.

Similarly, try to reproduce the effects shown in the attachments, and my guess is that you'll be there all day and all night painting them from scratch or using other native PS tools.

T

Attachments

• 00ZWen-410143684-curly_BW_tree_roots_using_Topaz.jpg
    00ZWen-410143684-curly_BW_tree_roots_using_Topaz.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 23
  • D7B_6530-acr_hi_key-ps02a_8.5x11ratio-01jpg-xnv_700px_wide-framed_for_web.jpg
    D7B_6530-acr_hi_key-ps02a_8.5x11ratio-01jpg-xnv_700px_wide-framed_for_web.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 23
  • guess_what_this_is-for_web.jpg
    guess_what_this_is-for_web.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 23

Spectrum

I do understand the point you are trying to make and generally agree with your overall position, but IMHO, you are oversimplifying the situation.

For example, there are plenty of things that plugins can do that simply can't be done in PS or would take prohibitively long. For example, you can't do a spatial Fourier Transform in PS. It would be very difficult to do many of the "Filter Forge" geometric efx, efx such as Medhi's weaver, Sorting Tiles, or Vibrations, etc.

Similarly, try to reproduce the effects shown in the attachments, and my guess is that you'll be there all day and all night painting them from scratch or using other native PS tools.

T

Yeah I agree with that. For some things, in terms of quality and reasonable duration in creating the effect, plugins are the only practical way. Thats why I posted the Eye Candy chrome. I see your point, but for the majority of effects, not knowing the manual technique is like taking a half-full clip into a gun fight.

iDad

Guru
If your aim is good, that should be enough ;)

iDad

Guru
Yes,it helps but even a child can do it ..... I love clichés:mrgreen:

Tom Mann

Guru
not knowing the manual technique is like taking a half-full clip into a gun fight.

LOL. But you are preaching to the choir on this topic. Absolutely no one, including myself, has disagreed with your basic premise. We just pointed out that there are nuances to the policy necessary in various situations.

T

Spectrum

LOL. But you are preaching to the choir on this topic. Absolutely no one, including myself, has disagreed with your basic premise. We just pointed out that there are nuances to the policy necessary in various situations.

T

Haha, sure. I was just returning iDad's metaphor :)

iDad

Guru
iDads fault, if all else fails.....it's a common Metaphor roundhea..... Just ask the mod room :rofl:

Actually, you can replicate the Eye Candy effects with Extended versions of PS. Just takes a bit of experimentation with the 3d mapping tools.

I agree with Tom on a professional level. There are times when time is of the essence and you don't have the luxury of hand-manipulation of every facet of the image.

Edit: Chris, that pic is awesome. Did you create that?

No it's not my work...see the link:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs38/f/2008/357/8/3/Eye_Candy_by_mprox.png