What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to blend colors of the characters of text with each other?

sneaky

Hi,

I want to create an image like this:
http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/iits/sites/utsc.utoronto.ca.iits/files/images/utsc-big.png

I created text, 2 characters on first line, and then 3 characters on second line. I changed the vertical spacing, so that the characters are overlapping a little. But when I change the blending options for the layer style, I can't get it to look like the link above.

I don't want to seperate each character into its own layer. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I think you will have to make separate layers for them. The change in the color sections is made by selecting the overlapping letter, then masking the overlap and filling. At least that is my interpretation. You can just duplicate the layer several times so that the spacing and placement remains exactly the same, then mask off the letters as you need. Without trying it myself that is my best guess. Someone may have a better idea.

iDad

Guru
I suppose you could write the text on one layer and then create a separate layer above in a different mode to get that effect?

God I hate this little screen lol

Hoogle

Guru
If you just type the text out either 1 letter per layer or just type it out in 1 go if you do it in 1 go then rasterise the text layer grab the square marque tool and drag a box around 1 letter and hold control + j to copy it onto a new layer repeat this for all the letters and hide the original text layer.

Then position the letters as you like and set the layer blending mode to difference on the letters that overlap the other letters.

then select all your individual letter layers and right click and select merge layers this will give you a different tonal range of colors.

then you can go in with a hue saturation adjustment layer you can then tweak each individual color.

Capture.PNG

sneaky

@JohnD, can you explain how you did that, like what font style and the instructions to do that?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
John!!!! Your instructions were almost impossible to follow! LOL!!! It took me awhile to figure this one out!

The idea behind this technique, is to mask a shared color between the two letters. If you look at the original logo and examine the U and the S, you will see that there is a shared color of the overlaying area and that is Purple!

I start by creating all the letters, each on their own layer, and arranging them to be in their final position.

Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 9.39.58 AM.png

Note that they are in a specific order. Their layer position starting from the bottom is Orange S, Blue U, Purple C, and yellow T.

I then worked on the letters two at a time. Since the U is overlapping the S, I duplicate the U layer and change it's color to the shared color between these two letters which is Purple. I then select either one of the S letters by command + clicking the thumbnail, then I make sure the Purple U layer is highlighted and I click the layer mask icon.

Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 9.33.23 AM.png

It will now look like this.
Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 9.48.24 AM.png

Repeat the above steps for the Yellow T and the Purple C. Remember, duplicate the overlapping letter and change it's color to the shared color.

It should now look like this.....
Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 9.52.17 AM.png

Will finish in next post.....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now that we know what the process is, the next part is pretty easy as well.

The next two letters I combined was the Yellow T and the blue U. Since the T is overlapping the U, I duplicate the T layer and change it's color to the shared color between the two layers which is green. I move this layer to the very top of the layers panel. I select the U by hitting command + clicking the U layers thumbnail, make sure the Green T layer is highlighted and then hit the add layer mask icon.

It should look like this now...
Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 10.03.10 AM.png

Repeat the above steps for the Orange S and the Purple C. The C is overlapping the S.

It should look like this now!
Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 10.05.21 AM.png

All that's left is to add a BG and a layer style!

Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 9.28.49 AM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks JohnD!

Not that you think so, but I'm not trying to upstage you, just trying to help out the OP........plus, I learned something!

So thank you!