What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question for object square stroke?

Beginner

I'm the beginner of photoshop and currently use CS6.
I have a quick question, anyone please help on this?

I would like to do the stroke around the object like the photo below (the 1st one); there's the square corner stroke around the dress. Could anyone suggest how can i do this type of stroke? Can it be created in photoshop CS6?

Currently i can only do the stroke that in-line to the object like the 2nd photo, but i would like to change the style to be corner-liked style.

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestion. :)
Uma

Attachments

• DRESS1.jpg
    DRESS1.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 3
  • lookbook template.jpg
    lookbook template.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1

iDad

Guru
You can create a blank layer and use your pen tool draw the square around it and stroke it merge layers or you could use the shape tool, transform the size, stroke it done

ibclare

Queen Bee
Another way might be to duplicate the dress selection. Go back to the original dress layer, transform it holding down shift + alt/opt and get it to the size you want. Then ctl/cmd select the thumbnail and fill the selection you have now made with white. I think that will retain your squared edges.

If not, then follow iDad's advice!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a quick rundown of what iDad recommended.

Original
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 2.16.05 PM.png

Background removed and I added a guide line. I also used the transform function to straighten the dress.
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 2.18.03 PM.png

I used the Pen Tool to make a border around the edge of one half of the dress. I start and end at the top of the guide line, which separates the dress into two halves. The center line is obscured by the blue guideline.
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 2.25.12 PM.png

Right click and choose "make a selection".
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 2.25.41 PM.png

Fill with white.
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 2.26.04 PM.png

Duplicate this layer and got to EDIT > TRANSFORM > FLIP HORIZONTAL.
Then use the Move Tool to move the this half over to match the other.
Highlight both of the half layers, command + J to duplicate, command + E to merge. Turn off original half layers.
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 2.27.49 PM.png

Move the duplicated layer below the dress layer. Add a background layer. Done.
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 2.31.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 2.29.54 PM.png

Trevor Dennis

Code:
If you are able to stroke the dress outline, then you must have a selection of the dress? Use Transform Selection to make larger, and fill that selection on a layer below the dress layer. That will keep all lines and corners sharp.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not really Trevor, it does work well though. I also tried just stroking the selection of the dress!

Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 4.19.23 PM.png

Last edited:

iDad

Guru
More than one way to skin a cat or line a dress:cool2:

Trevor Dennis

OK the. Make the selection a Work Path, and Free Transform the work path. You need to drag Shift Alt corner handle to get the top and bottom offset, followed by Alt drag a side handle to fix the aspect ratio.

Then zoom in and fix the work path, as some of the curves points definitely get a bit messed up. Ctrl click the fixed work path to load it as a selection and fill. You can make that offset look any way you like.

dress.jpg

Beginner

Thanks to IamSam and Trevor...I will try according to both of your suggestion to find which way is the most compatitable style for me.

Thank you to all of your kind support :)

p.s. to IamSam, really appreciate to the way you try to advice me step by step ^^

Paul

Former Member
Thanks to IamSam and Trevor...I will try according to both of your suggestion to find which way is the most compatitable style for me.

Thank you to all of your kind support :)

p.s. to IamSam, really appreciate to the way you try to advice me step by step ^^

He is good ain't he:thumbsup: