What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop request if you have extra time :)

Paul

Former Member
Ain't photoshop Gurus cool, why put the watermark on it Tom the edges are all wishy washy anyway?

Tom Mann

Guru
IMHO, this was a great thread.

Turning a bunch of PS'ers loose on a raw version of a portrait of a photogenic subject is probably one of the best ways to discern artistic preferences, techniques used and possible equipment limitations, specifically, lack of hardware-based monitor calibration.

For example, in terms of styles and artistic preferences, Chris seems to always turn out portraits with refined colors and effects, opting for the minimal changes needed to produce understated but gorgeous, very believable images, whereas I usually go for more dramatic efx (more PS'ed makeup, taking more years off of older subjects, etc.). IMHO, PseFrank turned out a piece that would have been the envy of the artists working for Playboy back in the 60's and 70's - youthful, three dimensional, vibrant, natural colors.

I love the highly stylized result of Hawkeye. For the right end use, it would be a surefire winner. The B&W high key sketch of Hoogle is yet another fresh look at the subject.

With respect to specific techniques that were used, I see examples of added skin texture (...can be a very useful ancillary technique), as well as skin smoothing using a Gaussian blur on a separate layer (almost always a bad idea because it tends to oversimplify the structure of the skin and the face as a whole).

With respect to equipment shortcomings, I see a couple of examples where the colors are just so far off (eg, too orange, too magenta) that this is unlikely to be a stylistic choice, but rather, probably arises from these individuals performing their edits on a system with an uncalibrated monitor or in an environment with uncontrolled changes in ambient lighting (eg, taking their laptop outside on a nice day ;-) ).

Knowing the work of other individuals, I think I also see examples in this thread of people demonstrating the most needed improvements (eg, brightness and contrast), but intentionally (ie, because of lack of time or interest) not devoting time to working on other aspects of the image to produce a more finished look. I have absolutely no problem with this and do it all the time myself.

Anyway, that's my take on this wonderful thread.

Cheers,

Tom M

iDad

Guru
Just say it... Geezzz!

Hoogle

Guru
@MyOwnPaparazzi

I believe he is not having a go at you he is saying you asked for a professional look and some or all of the versions we have submitted have taken the original photo and made them worse than the original.

This come backs to the point everything is subjective what looks good to 1 person looks bad to another "a professional look" is such a wide scope with no particular direction to work for.

But dont worry I am sure he will be back with his version of a professional look and this is what makes threads like these so great because it is interesting to get everyones scope on how they see images so watch this space.

MikeMc

McGuru
Did the usual, then ran Topaz..

IMG_7801-001a.jpg

I forgot the eyes :banghead:

IMG_7801-001b.jpg

Last edited:

iDad

Guru
I'llplay,What the heck, if you can't beat em you might as well join em:mrgreen:
Different-direction.png

Hey! It's Orange season remember:mrgreen:

iDad

Guru
:mrgreen: u gotit!:rofl:

chennae

had a go myself, I hope this links it and doesn't make it super massive in the thread? sorry if it does, I'm new. If you want a good job done it's definitely worth paying someone to do it! Freelance retouchers like myself generally have discounts for bulk photos that need to be done :)
retouch.png