What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is this effect created?

Nena

Hi there!

I tried to copy the effect I´ve seen on the attached image, but I don´t get it right. I tried several brushes but I can´t find any that creates this effect. Do you think this is done with some kind of brush? Or do you have any other ideas how this effect can be achieved? (I use Photoshop CS5)

I´d really appreciate your help! :)

Nena

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 40
Hard to see on phone but I see textures have been applied

Pattern overlay and a gradient.
layer-styles.jpg

Thanks Paul and iDad! I´m quite new to this, but I´ll look into textures and pattern overlay + gradient. And if you got the time I would be very thankful for a little more detailed explanation. :)

Hi Nena,

This can actually be a rather easy effect to re-create. In order to do it correctly, it would require some explanation. It mainly depends on how in depth you would like to go with how to actually go about it!

I will try to explain the BASIC concept.

The texture within the cats body is actually a paper texture that can easily be found on the web.

You must create the cat in multiple layers. Things like the whiskers, eyes, and nose would be on their own layer. The tail would be on it's own layer. Then you would create templates for the rest of the cats body.

You would first create a simple CAT template using your Shape and Pen Tools.
(I have poorly extracted from the example you provided in order to save time)

This is the cats template. It's all black. White BG is on it's own layer.
Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 8.34.00 AM.png

Now you would take any paper texture you want to use as the body of the cat, and open it into your CAT document. Place this texture layer directly above the Black Cat Template layer and transform to the size and position you desire using the transform function(command + T).

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 8.41.09 AM.png

Highlight the texture layer, right click inside the texture layer and select "Create Clipping Mask".
The paper texture will now be within the outline of the cat.

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 8.42.33 AM.png

I also made a Tummy Template. This Tummy Template layer should be below the Black Cat Template layer.
This is the Tummy Template. It's outline is slightly larger the the hole in the Black Cat Template.

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 8.50.06 AM.png

Here is my pattern I chose for the tummy after I opened and positioned it over the template and on the layer directly above the tummy template......

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 8.52.16 AM.png

After the clipping mask has been added...

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 8.52.40 AM.png

The two combined.....

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 8.53.31 AM.png

Do the same for the cheeks and ears. These template layers should also be below the Black Cat Template layer. ( I used simple color filled layers clipped to templates)

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 8.55.42 AM.png

The Nose, Whiskers, and Eyes are on their own layer ABOVE the Black Cat Template Layer! As well as the Tail!
Add them in.....

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 8.55.55 AM.png

The beauty of this technique is that everything can be instantly changed by adding and clipping new textures to the template layers!

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 9.01.03 AM.png

Sorry, forgot the rest of the layers panel...

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 9.04.13 AM.png

I also have to run to work, but I will be back later this evening to answer any questions that my esteemed fellow members don't answer for you!

Thank you so much for your detailed answer, IamSam! I really appreciate it!

I´ve tried this and it worked fine!
If I want to change the color of my obejct, I simply change the color of the texture layer with => Image => Adjustments => Hue/Saturation => Colorize, right? Or is there a better way? I would love to be able to use HEX codes for the colors, which I can´t if I do it that way. (I sometimes use the color wheel of Adobe Kuler).

Now I just need to find textures that look like the ones used in my example image...

The texture looks like a textures that Photoshop provides within the program. Once you get the texture located take your mouse and you can move it around/resize within image

This might seem like a silly question, but how do I use the textures that Photoshop provides? I can´t find them.
It´s not => Filter => Texture, is it?

No, not the filter>texture, unless by chance one works for you. It will use the color chips, FG/BG, that you have set.

However, if you go to layer fx at the bottom of the layer panel, click this and try pattern overlay.

In that window, you can use the slider to increase or decrease the size of the pattern, change the blending mode, and opacity. You can also use a texture or drawing, etc., of your own and create a pattern to store here.

The default choices are limited though which is one reason I prefer using the clip to layer method which was described above. It also saves opening a separate window (though that is really a minor inconvenience . . . ).

Back