What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone teach me how to do this picture?

Cappy

Hi there, i don't want to create this exact image, but i want to create something similar.I have no idea how to get started making that. I am using the new CS Could version of Photoshop.

dep_2063884-Cross-on-old-parchment.jpg

Can someone direct me on the tools to use to create that? And can someone tell me how to make a designed cross the way he did? Bit overwhelmed at the moment.I can do all the coding, but ive never graphic designed before.

I am sorry i am asking how to do so much.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Cappy, what is your level of Photoshop experience and skill level?

Do you have the designs you want to use in the place of the crosses in your example?

Cappy

Well ..... none. I would buy a book on Photoshop, but all the books look outdated compared to the new Photoshop.

No, i wanted to create my own designs. However, i have no idea how you create them. I am very confused on the Photoshop thing. i hope i haven't turned you off to helping if you have the time.

Sorry for asking so much.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No problem Cappy, just need to ask a few questions on the matter.

Describe the design you wish to make?

Mind you, I'm specifically going by the example you posted. I'm assuming that the design will be similar to the crosses.

iDad

Guru
You're in good hands with Sam,Cappy. Pay attention and you'll be off to a running start!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks, iDad...........you know you could do it as well!

iDad

Guru
not me I hate doing tutorials, besides the Patriots (NFL Football) are playing tonight I'm a football fanatic........

ibclare

Queen Bee
Well, you should probably learn a few basic before trying this Cappy. We can't give you a tutorial on how to use PS.

However, if you know how to create a new document, this is fairly easy to create. If you know how to use google that is! NM.

Look up paper textures on google or go to deviantarts.com. Google will probably have links to texture or textured paper collections. Find a large one. Copy it or save it. If you save it, you can just open it. If you have the full size image displayed, copy and paste it into your new PS document. Or create one using the image you have copied. PS will make the new doc the size of whatever is on your clipboard.

Find the burn tool (you're on your own with that, lol). Burn around the edges to get that darkened effect.

If you have the images you want to place, copy and paste them. Switch to the move tool and position them where you want them. If you have one image and want to use it, duplicate it. Shortcut is cmd/ctl + J/. Then just use the move tool to position that layer. By now you should have 3 or 4 layers.

That should get you what you want more or less.

If the images aren't the size you need them, you will have to transform them. Click on the layer of the object to resize, use keyboard shortcut cmd/ctl + T and use the handles on the bounding box to make larger or smaller, hold in the shift key to keep the proportions. Hit enter and there you go.

Questions, just ask. But if this is overwhelming, then you are not ready since this is really basic Photoshop.

Learn all you can and you'll find it to be a gratifying program to use. Just don't expect instant results. It's a journey. Enjoy it. We're here to help!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Go Pats!

I'm a College Football fanatic! So I know what you mean!

But, I do like doing tutorials!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Clare, I was going to walk them through it step by step starting with creating the (cross) design first.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, that will work!

I think we lost Cappy though!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.....Cappy.........are you there?

Cappy

Okay, Mr. Sam, i am going to be honest, i love that very specific background color. It's very nice, and not too much to destract from the text ill be placing over that image. (Itll be a background for an application). So honestly, ill probably want to get the colors to as close to that design as possible, and the crosses, perhaps a more " straight " cross representing a wooden cross.

(PS: Is there a way to edit a post?