What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to do this effect?

evt_must_go

Good day, I saw this picture recently;
hyh.PNG
So I wanted to know how to edit this effect in photoshop. It's not exactly a vintage effect (you know, those instagram stuff) , but it looks old. Do you know how to edit this using vibrance, levels, and other stuff?

ibclare

Queen Bee
I totally agree with Spruce. It makes a difference what you start with. This image is very high contrast. It's hard to analyze it - for me - since I can't enlarge it. But from what I see, it is desaturated, middle greys toned down some to increase the light-dark contrast, a blue cast given it, and some overall desaturation. I applied these ideas to a pic I had, but the color and composition is quite different from yours. See if it is the general idea or not.

bluefilter-original.jpgbluefilter.jpg

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
BTW, that "effect" is more than likely done at the shoot and not with post processing. Just in my opinion. Maybe Tom Mann, our resident photo guy, will post here and give you a better idea. But if you want to turn a "normal" photo into that style, I would say, first start with one that has bright sunlight and high contrast. Then desaturate the color some, and bring the tone to the cool side, whatever method you use to do that.

All yours Tom. Tell us the right of it! :mrgreen:

along the same lines, lol

cop1.jpgcop.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm still seeing students drift in for my Friday afternoon office hours, but I'll check back in late tonight.

In the interim, I would say that the first thing that comes to mind (after seeing the good points you already made) was "spread the blacks", ie, simulate the dark side of conventional halation in post processing. I bet the combination of all these things will nail the look.

T

Tom Mann

Guru
Processing digital images to simulate film is a *huge* topic on photography websites. If you ignore all the discussions and products sold to do this, and just look for Photoshop tutorials by Googling {film look photoshop tutorial} or {film simulation photoshop tutorial}, you get about 2,000,000 hits for each search.

If, instead, you search for film simulation plugins or actions, ie, {film look photoshop plugin} or {film look photoshop actions}, you get about a half-million hits for each of these searches. Most of the major plugin packages (eg, Nik Color Efx Pro, the suite of Topaz products, etc.), popular on-line efx (eg, Instagram), and even point-and-shoot cameras usually come with some built-in film effects.

In addition to the current popularity of retro / nostalgic "film looks" (especially among schmaltzy wedding photographers), another reason for all this interest is that there are an infinite number of starting points, and a huge number of "film looks" due to the different types of film and processing combinations over the past 100 or so years, so it's hard to generate truly authentic effects, but everyone keeps trying.

Since you want to get into this, probably the best way is to train your eye to see all the different classic types of flaws exhibited by film. For example, as Clare pointed out in reference to the image you posted, film exhibits every type of color "error" one can imagine, eg, blacks and whites that have color casts (usually different), curve crossings (different gammas for R, G, and B), hue and saturation shifts (both when fresh, but especially after film ages a few years).

As I pointed out in reference to your posted example image, another typical film flaw is halation and the less well-known corresponding spreading of dark areas.

Another big class of film "errors" that are commonly simulated to give a film "look" are inaccuracies in the brightness of different areas. Slide film had easy to burn out highlights, whereas negative film shows big tonality problems in dark areas where the negative is thin. The example image you posted shows both of these problems.

The final big class of film "errors" that I'll mention is film grain. It's not the same as digital noise, and it's probably the most common effect offered by the film-look plugin / action cottage industry. Fortunately, at the resolution we are viewing your example image, film grain doesn't seem to be a big factor.

I'll also point out that in addition to film problems, lenses from 50-100 years ago introduced their share of softness and other aberrations that become a bit part of the overall look of photos from that era.

So, for you, with all of these possibilities, the question is where should you start.

I REALLY liked the suggestion by Spruce for you to try Picmonkey.com. For example, I feel that this before-and-after Picmonkey pair exhibits some of the more important features I see in your example image (ie, softness, blow and spreading highlights, muddy and spreading blacks, color shifts). Picmonkey's on-line effects service lets you play with (ie, learn / train your eye) many of the above effects with a very easy-to-use user interface, albeit with some really odd, non-technical names.

Each one of Picmonkey's effects typically require several Photoshop low-level adjustments to replicate, so immediately trying to do these things in PS without becoming familiar with all of the possibilities in a general way is most likely to be overwhelming and not the best way to become proficient in this area of post processing. Then, once you have the general lay of the land and know what film features are important to you, you can come back and ask more specific questions like, "What's the best way to simulate xxx using PS's native tools?", where xxx could be "film grain", "halation", "muddy blacks", "off color whites", "lens softness", etc.

Sorry this was so long winded, but there is a lot to the question you asked.

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
BTW, here is how, using only native PS tools (ie, Gaussian blur, overlay mode, opacity, blendIF sliders), one can get the same sort of look as Picmonkey achieved for the sea stack example that I cited in my previous post and felt had some of the same features (blowing out and spreading of the highlights and shadows) as in the example image of the police that you posted.

Original

b4_after-PicMonkey-sample-sea_stack-for-web-tjm01-ps02b_8bpc_resized_0002_Before-centered.jpg

TJM's tweak vs Picmonkey's tweak

b4_after-PicMonkey-sample-sea_stack-for-web-tjm01-ps02b_8bpc_resized_0000_tjm-vs-picmonkey-annot.jpg

- Tom M

MikeMc

McGuru
Love your info and thoughts Tom. I chuckle about how current shooters WANT some of the horrible things we dealt with daily "back then" ! The glass today with the CAD designs and the incredible coating technology is unreal. I always strove to get rid of poor contrast glass, or use it when needed for a look.

One other thought, with all the different algorithms used today every camera has its own quirks...even the Iphone has its own hues.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I see that in my examples, I didn't focus on the soft/gaussian blur effect. Spreading of blacks is a good term. I thought of using blend-f sliders, but thought I could get the effect using levels. I think I might try your method Tom, though I had trouble finding the kind of photo I would want to use for making these adjustments.

@Mike. Funny comments that these are the "errors" we used to try to fix! Uh huh. What goes around, comes around: artistic license, whether for better or worse. (sorry for the wedding pun)