What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Written in mayonnaise

BlueInGreen

Hi

I need a title to look as if it's been written in mayonnaise with someone's finger. I've had a go at it but can't really get it to look believable. Any idea how I can add more depth to it - get some parts to be thicker and some to be thinner, as if the mayonnaise on the person's finger has run out)?

Any guidance will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mayonnaise_Typography.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ha! This is great!

In my experience with fingerprinting, I found it's hard to evenly apply the medium (mayo, LOL!) with a finger. On a stroke, you tend to get a thinner (lighter) area between two thicker areas where the medium is forced to the edges of the curvature of your finger due to pressure.

I have never given thought to simulating this in Ps, I'll have to work on it! Will get back to you.

Tom Mann

Guru
I know your question was about PS, but I've got to point out that this is a situation where Corel Painter absolutely leaves PS in the dust. Painter has every type of brush you can imagine, including all sorts of tip profiles, many of which are shaped like fingers. In addition, Painter's control of brush dynamics via Wacom tablet stylus pressure, rotation, slant angle, etc. are much better than PS's. If I get a chance late today, I'll try to draw something up in Painter along these lines.

T

BlueInGreen

@IamSam - Yeah you're right about the medium building up on either side of the finger. Will have to try to get that effect!

@Tom Mann - I've heard good things about painter. I may have to try it out if I don't get much like in PS.

@hawkeye - Sadly I don't have any mayo! Plus, this will ultimately be comped over some footage so it's easier to just do it all in PS.

Tom Mann

Guru
Rather than me trying to create a mayo effect in Painter, because I'm a bit short on time, check out the image I posted in message #10 of this thread from last March:

http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...lease-thank-you-very-much.html#post1533635316

It shows some of the effects you can get with various impasto brushes and other painting tools in Corel Painter. Change the colors and simplify this mess (LOL), and I think one can see that Painter could likely do a good job simulating mayo.

T

hawkeye

Guru
Maybe I'm missing something but brushes and effects aside, before I could recreate a word spelled out by finger painting in mayonnaise, I would have to know exactly what finger painting in mayonnaise looks like.

ibclare

Queen Bee
BlueInGreen;1533675851 @hawkeye - Sadly I don't have any mayo! Plus said:
Who in the world doesn't have Mayo? Blue, (and u should b w/o mayo, blieve me) catch up man! Or are you on a beans and hot dog budget? LMAO. Use mustard or ketchup or something saucy, and change the color!

And look around for funky brushes, like at dafont.com. You may find what you want more or less, and you can embellish with spatter and drip brushes around the edges. Regular fonts with this effect may need to be customized and you could do that with transform tools and liquify filter. You can use a mask to improve the finger parts with smushy brushes. Just ideas.

@Hawk: Uhm, I believe post one will clear it up for you . . . ;]

ibclare

Queen Bee
Here are some sample brush examples and my poor attempt using clipping masks to the font. It would be better to find the right brushes and use letters just for tracing the brush marks. You would probably have to find extra brushes to clear more center space. This method is a bit time-consuming and in my case, trial and error which is how I cam to the idea to just trace over.The small brush set I obtained at brush lovers and there are more strokes available. Just google finger painting brushes for Photoshop. I saw several other sets that looked good.

No_MAYO.jpg

iDad

Guru
You could use a font and add some effects to it such as bevel and boss and pattern overlay you can tweak it to your hearts content. And also use the liquefy tool to get is the shape you want although it might be a little bit to neat but you could always use the smudge tool to get it where you want it…just sayinmayo.png