What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Editing a Photo

packofwolves3

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if someone could please help me out. I do not have Photoshop, so I just downloaded GIMP tonight. I am beginning to learn the ropes but would really like a photo edited in the mean time.

There is an annoying pipe in the 2 attached photos that I would like to be removed, if possible. If anyone can spare a few minutes to remove it that would be awesome. Also, the lion in the first picture doesn't seem to be as rich in color and/or in focus as he is in the second picture, so if a certain effect (the picture seems "whiter" than the 2nd, so maybe it's too bright?) can be used to help him stand out that would be great. I trust your opinions/suggestions, so if you want to mess around with it and add certain things please do. I'm sure these two edits are very basic (item removal and sharpening/adding color to an image), so I hope to learn how to do it in GIMP within the next few days.

Thanks so much :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 6

packofwolves3

Thanks! Do you mind telling me which tools you used to remove the pipe and add color? I'm guessing a clone stamp was part of the process?

Tom Mann

Guru
Sorry for the delay, but I was out of town again.

Here are more or less my steps:

1. First, I spent quite a bit of time preparing a mask for the lion without the fence. I started with one of my favorite, old plugins, Asiva Select. This allows one to select specific ranges of hue, saturation and luminosity. I then refined that mask to completely eliminate the fence in front of the lion from manipulations.

2. I brought your image into PS via ACR. Within ACR, I was mostly concentrating on color balance, taming the blown sky, and a bit of NR.

3. Next, I brought the image into PS.

4. I used Topaz Adjust and Topaz Details to even out the lighting of everything except the guy.

5. Since the guy was OOF, I applied the anti-shake filter in PS CC to just him. I also separately applied some anti-shake to the lion, but less than to the guy.

6. I then made a bunch of relatively minor separate adjustments to the image's brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. for the guy, the lion and the remainder of the scene.

7. I made one final global brightness tweak using "curves".

8. Finally, I down-rez'ed the result for posting on this forum (ie, without having the forum's uploading software over compress the result.)

If I remember correctly, that was about all I did to the image. The only real trick was to keep the fence dull and a slight bit blurry, ie, protect it from all of the above steps.

HTH,

Tom

packofwolves3

Sorry for the delay, but I was out of town again.

Here are more or less my steps:

1. First, I spent quite a bit of time preparing a mask for the lion without the fence. I started with one of my favorite, old plugins, Asiva Select. This allows one to select specific ranges of hue, saturation and luminosity. I then refined that mask to completely eliminate the fence in front of the lion from manipulations.

2. I brought your image into PS via ACR. Within ACR, I was mostly concentrating on color balance, taming the blown sky, and a bit of NR.

3. Next, I brought the image into PS.

4. I used Topaz Adjust and Topaz Details to even out the lighting of everything except the guy.

5. Since the guy was OOF, I applied the anti-shake filter in PS CC to just him. I also separately applied some anti-shake to the lion, but less than to the guy.

6. I then made a bunch of relatively minor separate adjustments to the image's brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. for the guy, the lion and the remainder of the scene.

7. I made one final global brightness tweak using "curves".

8. Finally, I down-rez'ed the result for posting on this forum (ie, without having the forum's uploading software over compress the result.)

If I remember correctly, that was about all I did to the image. The only real trick was to keep the fence dull and a slight bit blurry, ie, protect it from all of the above steps.

HTH,

Tom

Awesome, thanks for the info! It sounds like a foreign language to me right now but hopefully I'll be able to grasp everything the more I use GIMP.

Thanks again!