What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Select half of an image as part of an action?

fayelaura

Can I select and copy exactly half of an image (50% vertical selection) as part of an action? Each time I run my action it sets the selection to half of the size of the original image I made the action on, which doesn't work for me as all images are shot in different proportions.

Thanks!
Faye

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Fayelaura,

There may be an easier way to do this, but here is what I came up with.....

Go to Photoshop Preferences.
Go to Units and Rulers.
Under UNITS > RULERS. Set the drop down menu selection to "Percentage".
Click OK.

Open your actions panel.
Click the create a new action icon.
Name your action, click record.

(I always duplicate the image....personal preference)
Hit Command/Control + J to duplicate.
Select you Rectangular Marquee Tool.
Choose: New Selection > Style: Fixed Size > Width: 50% > Height: 100%.

Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 10.14.37 PM.png

With your cursor placed either to the left or right side, go just above and to the outside of the upper corner border of the image and click once. This should make a selection of half the image to the right or to the left, your choice.

The rest is up to you. Perform whatever adjustment etc,. that you desire. If you're left with an active selection when done, hit Command/Control + D to deselect.

This action will forever use percentages.

After you hit STOP (recording the action) go back into your preferences and set your Units and Rulers back to units you prefer, like pixels, inches, etc,.

Last edited: