What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project in progress: Stucked with flowers

nitea

I started a project with flowers. What I want is to make the body looks like is created by flowers.
What I did was:
retouched the original pic...I selected the different areas like arms, chest & neck there is a little white line around my selections .. .which i don't know how to remove.. I try select modify, feather, also to apply blur filter, but both don't work ...

...copy paste the flower image and play with the different blend modes.
I saw that the light falls differently on the body parts so I try to equal the light over the flower layer, using a low opacity brush with soft edges on a new layer,

but i think I'm missing something. Also I have completely stuck with the face.

I will appreciate your comments, advises and help.

fwora.jpgP1190274 copy.jpgP1200395 copy.JPG

PS. both pics were taken by me.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hi Diyana, is this at all what you are going for? If so, I will describe what I did.

faceMAP.jpg

To enhance the planes of the face, I would paint on some layers above with both shadow and highlight. Experiemnt with blend modes, like color, soft light, etc.

Last edited:

nitea

Yes is what I'm exactly doing ...
Here is where i came last night. I opened the non manipulated picture to see where shadows and highlight falls. I try with brush but, may be I will achieve a better results using dodge and burn in a curved adjustment layer.

I like what you did with the face Clare. Thank you :)

i will make it a bit presize and leave part of the face untouched

Will make an upgrade :)

nitea

Oh I forgot to upload picture :) Here is it fwora2.JPG

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mike, this is a pretty good vid tut on displacement mapping. However, I never condone the use of the Eraser Tool, he should have done all that on the layer mask with the Brush Tool set to black.

MikeMc

McGuru
I never use erasure tool...As you said easy to get around that!

ibclare

Queen Bee
Mike I used a displacement mask and made the face a smart object. But its planes are so simple that the default settings worked pretty well.

I used a clipping mask for all the layres of the flowers of the face, played with blend modes and opacity, duplicated the first with the white flowers, and played with blend mode again. I think one is screen and the other is overlay.

I made another layer of flowers and transformed them with rotation so that the red flowers would line up where I wanted them. Added a mask to that as well to keep it from overlapping too much with the white flowers and their leaves and to blend them with a soft brush. I also used that mask to remove the darker shades from this last layer which obscured highlights on the chin, jaw, eyes, forehead, etc.

Then I made a top layer and added some highlights. Actually I haven't posted that. I would add some painting on another layer to accentuate shadows here and there.

I still have the psd's, one of the displament mask to which I added a rather strong levels adjustment to bring up both whites and blacks, and one of the work I did to demonstrate the steps I took for the image itself. If you care to see these, I will make the files smaller and post them.

nitea

I was off ...sorry that I didn't replay.
Thank for the tutorial Mike I didn't know that method. I agree that is better to use layer mask and brush. I finished the project, but did'n use the displacement mapping method. I did a selections to match the neck and the arms & then soft brush to equal the stroke that was left form the selection /btw I tried select - modify options, but didn't achieve much/ The I use dodge and burn method with curve layer to fix the light and make the object more realistic.

I decide to leave the face pure just put so lashes & make the mouth.
It's look like the body is tattooed

here is the final look & B/AP1190274 copy.JPG b_f.JPG

ibclare

Queen Bee
Diyana, I would still like to see you try to use the other methods described, including displacement filter, masking, and clipping mask. It is important to learning Photoshop to achieve the same results, or nearly the same, by using different methods.

I thought you had planned to do more on the face. Even if you are finished with what you want, you could try that as an exercise. I would be interested to see the results.

What do you think?

nitea

After a huge storm and electricity lost last night all I did with displacement mapping has gone... So I decide to make another photo manipulation using displacement map :)

Here is the result ... displacment_map copy.JPG
earth_displacment_map copy.JPG

What I did differently from the tutorial was that I used a layer mask & brush like we all mentioned to remove the area around the eyes, nose .. etc, also I used adjustment curved layer to fix the contrast, because I could modify it later not just once. I added a Vibrance adjustment layer as well to bring back the blue color of the planet earth :)

Thanks one more time Mike for the tutorial and Clare to encourage me, to practice more :)

MikeMc

McGuru
I love the colors with the BW image.....I have seen some major works done this way! These are a few...I have never seen this style on skin !! Great Ideas!!

blackandwhite_vs_color1.jpg

11-mult-color-photography.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
Good work there nitea. I'm sorry you lost the one you worked on, but I admire your tenacity in doing it again. It wraps really well and your improvements are great. I never get one hundred percent perfection with displacement maps and always have to tweak the curvatures a bit. You did great.

nitea

I love the colors with the BW image.....I have seen some major works done this way! These are a few...I have never seen this style on skin !! Great Ideas!!

I like them too :) My husband is a tattoo artist, that's why to put something on skin is almost naturally for me :D