What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viewing photos on new TV

Arthur CS5

Dear Photoshop Gurus,
I have been trying to view my photos on my Panasonic TV without success.
After much searching I have found out that my TV and I believe other makes as well do not recognise the default (Progressive jpeg) which I have been saving in for a long time.
I resaved a photo file in (Baseline Standard) TV can’t read file so I resaved the file again in (Baseline Optimized) and the TV found and played all photos.
So the two questions are:
Can the Baseline Optimized button in the JPEG Option Box be set as default as it keeps defaulting to the Progressive for each new photo saved?
Also can my older photo files saved in Progressive jpeg’s be batch saved in Baseline Optimized so they also can be viewed on TV as well. At the moment I am resaving each photo one at a time to Baseline Optimized, painfully slow.
Any help to resolve this problem will help me and maybe other people who appear to be having the same problem.
(I am using PS CS5 Extended 64 bit)
Regards,
Arthur cs5

Hi Arthur CS5, welcome to Photoshop Gurus.

You could create an action that saves one image with the desired settings, then batch automate applying that action to a whole folder of images.

Also, I believe that if you use Save for Web it will retain the last used settings and make manually saving them much faster.

Let us know if you need more detailed help.

To be honest, I wouldn't take the time to write an action to have PS do this work for you.

Instead, there are many, many simple image viewing programs that read progressive JPGs, but only can write standard, non-progressive JPGs. For example, Google's Picasa is in this category. I would simply download a copy of it (... it's free), let it find the folders where your images are stored, select the images of interest, and then have Picasa export them (as non-progressive JPGs -- the only thing it can do, AFAIK) to a USB stick or however you are going to transfer them to your TV.

This would be vastly faster than doing everything in PS and the quality would be just as good.

HTH,

Tom

The Baseline Optimized button in the JPEG Option Box now seems to have set its self as the chosen default setting just as I wanted. This did not happen when I asked the above question.
I would just like to say thank you all for your help, problem solved,
Great site, lots of info,
Regards,
Arthur

Back