What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

animation window is bane of animation's existance - a true story

ColorPenFinePoint

Hi gif smarties!

I am using the animation feature in Photoshop CS5. Im rotoscoping by tracing footage that has been imported to layers. The traced frames are on their own separate layers. Im keeping my workload, per file, to 60 frames (120 layers total). I tried to make a file that was 70 frames instead (140 layers). Now every time I open the animation window, the layers go crazy and the traced layers are moved, uncolored, and generally all weird and wrong. I tried copying the file and breaking it into 2 files of 35 frames each (70 layers) but the damage seems to be done. Opening the animation window screws with the frames. Is there a fix for this or do I simply have to keep files to <60 in the future?

halp halp! :cry:

ColorPenFinePoint

SO, after going through and -deleting the frame animation windows then -adjusting each messed up frame. I have noticed that the frames that are screwed up are specifically the ones that have been copied and pasted. they are pushed around to include any part of the copied image that was moved off frame.

I suppose there is no fix but to go through, fix each problem individually, and start again from the beginning with the animation window.

When I imported the footage originally, there is an option to make the frames/layers into an animation and I clicked 'yes' but closed the window after i checked that everything imported ok. I should have left that window open and emptied or clicked 'no' to it.

For anyone reading this in order to trouble shoot any photoshop animating, my advice would be to keep it organazized, man. Hope this is helpful to someone!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
What I can only think of is this may have been caused by the manner you did the trace. If you didn't do the trace following the sequence of the layers with its corresponding timeline frame selected, this may affect the whole animation sequence.

To expound.... doing a trace over a certain layer but a different frame was chosen in the timeline, the trace will apply to the frame that was selected or was active when you were doing the trace.

The only way to fix this is to go through the animation frame by frame to see to it the trace layer corresponds to the frame sequence.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Your second post wasn't there when I was giving your issue thought and typing out the reply.... lol.

Basically, I think my above thoughts caused your problem.

Glad you managed to solve it....