What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Retouching practice.

MikeMc

McGuru
Yeah, I've always liked restorations, not sure why, I think it appeals to my artistic side. I thought that OPR would be a great way to practice and help out those that have been through disasters.

I think your pretty good at them. At OPR, you select the photos you want to work on so you don't have to take on the really bad ones.

I did it , signed up , got and restored an image they sent. I think it turned out OK...They will tell me.
I also did something I have never done before....lost the psd. When I went back to look at it, I realized I flattened it, I then do NOT save the flattened psd,,,OH WELL

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think you did an excellent job Mike! I would post mine but I don't think we are supposed to post them! I'll have to check.

MikeMc

McGuru
I think you did an excellent job Mike! I would post mine but I don't think we are supposed to post them! I'll have to check.

I did hear back, I need to touch some cloning marks in the background...

I read the rules, this is all I can locate....

They like me!

[Note: These photos cannot be used to promote your business. As a federally registered charitable organization [501(c)(3)], OPR, Inc. is prohibited from using its resources, including its reputation, to promote any private business or individual. When volunteers work on behalf of OPR, Inc. and want to include information about their volunteer work on behalf of OPR, Inc. that is permitted, but when the information could be construed as using a connection to OPR to build a reputation, that is not a permissible use of that information because it appears that OPR is promoting or giving a “seal of approval” to a private business. ]

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can't find any rule from OPR concerning this image. The rules I have found concern the privacy of the images you download from the site.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now that I have the torn sections reasonably re-aligned, I need to start cleaning up the image.

Before I start, I currently have all four sections on separate layers. I need to combine them before I start the restoration.

Highlight all four torn section layers, hit Command/Control + J to duplicate the layers, then hit Command/Control + E to merge the layers. Turn all other layers off.

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.47.59 PM.png

Watch the following video on the Spot Healing Brush Tool.

I use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to outline the section I want to work in. I only do this when working around edges.

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.48.58 PM.png

Then I use the Spot Healing Brush Tool to clean up the area.

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.49.14 PM.png

Paul

Former Member
Ok i cheated slightly, i used a screen capture of Sams aligned torn images, then i did the repairs from that.
Lots of of little touches with the spot healing brush and the clone stamp, i also did a little smudging in some areas and applied a little painting in, on the skin for instance of the girl on the lefts arm.

I also gave the same girl a bit more dignity, and made a small cloned copy of moms hair and raised it up slightly, the very top of her head only, the background is a fine mix of clone stamp and smudge.

screencap.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Exceptional job Paul, looks great!
I'm fairly impressed given the image I posted was intentionally small!

Great interpretation of the baby's missing dress. I'm not seeing the hair thing you mentioned, is it on baby, girl, or mom?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you not familiar with Photoshops Brush Tool, watch the following video....

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-photoshop-cc/brushes-101/

Here are some examples where I used the Brush Tool to add missing pixels.

You will also notice that I work zoomed in fairly close. Zoom in, Zoom out often.

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 4.51.44 PM.png

I just used the brush to fill in the missing area. I sample surrounding colors often. I also stipple in order to simulate texture.
I just copy what I see next to the area I'm working on.

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 4.56.32 PM.png

Here is the girls right ear...

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 5.21.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 5.25.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 5.42.59 PM.png

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Moms hair on the top only Sam and thanks.

MrToM

Guru
Excellent stuff here!

'Popeye' was feeling a bit left out so I thought I'd give it a go...

ripped_sailor_01.png

Virtually followed the same technique as @IamSam but with a few minor twists...
When splitting into each piece I just rectangular marquee the piece and mask out what isn't needed.
I tend to use the 'Ruler Tool' for straightening. I appreciate PS has the 'Straighten' option when using the 'Crop Tool' but the 'Ruler Tool' and 'Straighten Layer' gives you the chance to adjust the anchor points of the line before committing to it.

One small trick I use when masking (manually) is to throw on a 'Drop Shadow' to the layer being masked, set to 0 distance, a spread of 100 and a Size of 1.
Its very easy to miss transparent pixels on a layer when masking, the 'Drop Shadow' will stick out like a sore thumb even on 99% transparent pixels making it easy to mask them out. Just remove the 'Drop Shadow' when done masking.

The rest is as Sam's method......mostly 'Clone Stamp Tool' and 'Healing Brush Tool', occasionally the 'Brush Tool'. Sometimes I get too hard an edge when cloning so I'll use the 'Blur Tool' just to soften the edges but that's about all really.
The only other things needed of course are time and a little patience....

Thanks for the in-depth instructions Sam.

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT:
Drat! Beaten to it yet AGAIN! (Great minds think alike eh?)
Well done 'gedstar'....but you missed a big bit at the very bottom and center...right hand side of back of chair.

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Hi MrTom

Didn't have much time to work on it as I had to get back to my normal job, don't tell the boss.
Very nicely done by you, how did you get the face so perfect? mine now looks completely out of shape compared to your attempt, very well done indeed :)

MrToM

Guru
...how did you get the face so perfect? mine now looks completely out of shape...

LOL...thank-you, and, sorry about that, obviously we both thought the little guy should get a chance too...and within 15 mins of each other!...weird.

As to the face, well, time and patience really. Lots of zooming in and out and just careful cloning and healing. Getting the original 'pieces' together in the most difficult parts was essential to making that bit as easy as possible but I didn't do anything more than what I've already mentioned.

As to the bit you 'missed'....if its any consolation it caught me out too....just about to post when I noticed it...hence it was still fresh in my mind.

This shows you exactly how much I did and where...

ripped_sailor_02.png

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Excellent job from both of you!
MrTom, thanks for adding additional information on technique, that's exactly what I was wanting in this thread!

MrTom said:
One small trick I use when masking (manually) is to throw on a 'Drop Shadow' to the layer being masked, set to 0 distance, a spread of 100 and a Size of 1.
Its very easy to miss transparent pixels on a layer when masking, the 'Drop Shadow' will stick out like a sore thumb even on 99% transparent pixels making it easy to mask them out. Just remove the 'Drop Shadow' when done masking.
Nice touch. If I think about it, I do something similar by placing the torn sections on a contrasting background. I turned off the layer when I was creating images for the thread so that went unnoticed. Thanks for bringing that up!

MrTom - Another quick question, I noticed you posted your repair work on a teal colored BG, is this just for contrast of the posted image or is this the color you use for a backing when working on the restoration? I have always used a white base layer.

Here is my finished version....
TornPhotographRepair_01.jpg

Like MrTom's, this is what I did and where. (I used his backing color just for contrast, it was done on a white backing)

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 9.56.40 AM.png

To all who are just getting started in retouching, please ask questions if you have any!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrTom - I would also like to know more about how you employ the Ruler Tool.

Found this tutorial. A bit older, but still applicable.

This is another video showing the tool, I prefer the 'arbitrary' option than the straighten and crop button for the torn photo repairs.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...MrTom - Another quick question, I noticed you posted your repair work on a teal colored BG, is this just for contrast of the posted image...

Yes mate, purely for demonstration purposes.
Usually, if I use the 'Drop shadow' method, I can mask to a transparent background as the 'Drop Shadow' gives a nice black edge to the mask.

As to the 'Ruler Tool' well it looks like you have all the info on that but just to verify...

ruler_tool-01.png

ruler_tool-02.png

I find it more easy to use, you have a chance to really get things accurate by moving the start and end points before committing to the straighten process.....the 'Straighten' option, part of the 'Crop Tool' executes on release of the mouse so you need to be bang on to start with.

Regards.
MrTom.

gedstar

Guru
@MikeMc

I was also given that image from OPR and did post the restore here but was informed that it wasn't allowed at the time so sadly my post was deleted :sad:

Since it's allowed here's the restore I did of the same image you got, this was done about 10 days ago

Removed Again Doh :banghead:

Last edited: