What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Retouching practice.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I recently read a comment in this THREAD and decided I would start a thread with a a few torn images that need to be repaired.

For anyone interested in attempting a repair, please feel free to join in! Post your progress and most of all, ask questions if needed. For you more seasoned shoppers, this is not a place to show off your skills as much as it is an opportunity to show and help others to learn effective techniques used in these types of repairs.

b_torn-photograph.jpg

ripped-sailor1.jpg

If you read the post I linked you with, one of the first steps is to select the torn pieces and move them to their own layers.
The separate pieces then need to be moved in to proper position with the Move Tool.

Good luck.

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
You gave out the only thing I had thought of....BUT I like this idea!!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great job Mike! I really like the second image. Are you planning to work up the background in the second image?

MikeMc

McGuru
Great job Mike! I really like the second image. Are you planning to work up the background in the second image?

Yep, that was the original...Needed more work but I got lazy

MikeMc

McGuru
Well done Mike...looks really good the 2nd one.

Background is original, I don't like it, will play more tonight

My masking on the first is horrible...not sure where it happened....

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mike, one of the reasons why I like the second version is that most restoration groups like OPR do not allow the replacement of the BG.
I would prefer to replace them myself as it's often easier, but I need the practice restoring the BG's as well.

gedstar

Guru
Nicely done MikeMc, the second one is done really well, will have to give these two photo's a go. The second black and white one looks like a good challenge. Not suggesting that the first image looks in anyway easy by the way. :)

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, Mike - Nice job. I agree about not replacing, but restoring, the bkgnd. Also, FWIW, I think you cranked up the sharpening and contrast a bit too much for a young mom (and kids). If u soften it a bit, you'll get more flattering skin tones.

T

Attachments

• mike_mc-mytake1-tjm01_acr-ps02a_8bpc_sRGB_698px_hi-01.jpg
    mike_mc-mytake1-tjm01_acr-ps02a_8bpc_sRGB_698px_hi-01.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 95

MikeMc

McGuru
Guilty Tom.....BUT then I always over sharpen and bump contrast! :cheesygrin:

MikeMc

McGuru
Never thought about not replacing the background...I guess it would not be restored if that is replaced!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again, but OPR does not allow sharpening either. They want the restored image to be as close to the original as you can make it. I know that's not necessarily appealing to those of us who like enhancing photos, but it's a good practice to start of with.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here are a few ideas for getting started with these types of restorations.

Open the image in Photoshop.
For torn images, you must select the torn sections and place them on their own layer.

This can be accomplished with the Lasso Tool, Polygonal Lasso Tool, or the Pen Tool.
note: You could also use any of the quick selection tools as well.

Make a selection around one of the torn sections.

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 8.29.20 AM.png

When done, hit Command/Control + J on your keyboard to copy the selected section to it's own layer.
Or you can go to LAYER > NEW > NEW LAYER VIA COPY
Hit Command/Control + D to deselect.
You should be in the habit of naming your layers, I called mine Section 1.

Note: I created a white BG for this Tut, you don't have to.

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 8.03.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 8.46.52 AM.png

Because of the way I chose to make my selection, the torn edges now need to be cleaned up.
For this you can use any of the quick selection tools like the Magic Wand Tool. You can also use the Magic Erasure Tool with a tolerance of about 30.
Of course the best way is to make a selection is by using a layer mask, like with the Brush Tool and a layer mask if your meticulous.

Here is the cleaned up torn section.

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 8.47.16 AM.png

Next, You need to bring in some guidelines to help you square up your section(s).

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 8.28.46 AM.png

The image has to be rotated so hit Command/Control + T to enter the transform function.
Move your cursor just outside one of the corners until it turns into a double ended curved arrow, now carefully rotate the section
until it's lined up with the one of the two guidelines. You can use your directional arrow keys on your keyboard to nudge the selection into place.
Hit enter or the click the checkmark when done.
Use your Move Tool to make any other corrections.

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 8.47.43 AM.png

The rest is about repeating the above process...

Select, move to new layer.

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 8.50.27 AM.png

Clean the torn selections edges....

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 8.50.41 AM.png

Move into position...

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 8.51.44 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MikeMc said:
Not yet , but I think I will

Sorry Mike, I thought you had..........which is kinda funny because I was additionally motivated to join myself by the thought that you did! LOL!

If you decide to join, they test your skills by sending you an image to restore and then resubmit, it's fairly easy though so don't sweat it.

MikeMc

McGuru
No prob Sam. I have never done or been good at this. I have learned much over the last year here, so I tried it..had lots of fun, Now I should try by the rules!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I've always liked restorations, not sure why, I think it appeals to my artistic side. I thought that OPR would be a great way to practice and help out those that have been through disasters.

I think your pretty good at them. At OPR, you select the photos you want to work on so you don't have to take on the really bad ones.