What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo restoration issue

MrToM

Guru
Sorry nitea, bad news I'm afraid.

Although I managed to rebuild the file it still doesn't contain any layers. The 'black' denotes nothing, not even an empty layer.
For no other reason than to make it look like I actually did something, here's a run down.....:thumbsup:

A PSD file is comprised of 5 sections:
Header Meta-data...........(Stuff like width in px, height in px, bit depth, color mode, dpi, filename, filesize etc)
Color Mode data.............(The actual data for RGB, greyscale or CMYK color modes)
Image resources.............(Non-pixel data like path node points, guides, grids etc)
Layer and Mask Info........(All the layer and mask data)
Image data....................(The actual pixel color information in planar order...RRR GGG BBB etc)

Your file gave these results...
PSD (version 1), 3 channels, 2044 rows x 2749 cols, 8 bit RGBColor
(color mode data is empty)
...skipped image resources (19312 bytes)
(layer info section is empty)
## layer data begins @ 19354
## layer image data begins @ 19354
## end of layer image data @ 19354
(global layer mask info section is empty)

merged image:
>>> merged image data @ 19382
compression = 1 (RLE)
uncompressed size 16856868 bytes (row bytes = 2749)

I was hoping that that the 'damage' was just to the Header info, in which case the 'Layers' and 'Image data' can still be recovered but as you can see there really is nothing left.
I couldn't begin to suggest what may have caused it either.....any minor glitch with either MS or Adobe or even a small power surge in the hard drive could all have been responsible.
Your best bet is to always save to your main drive, apparently PS doesn't like external drives or net drives.???, and make a back-up often and in a different place....yeah I know...its an Adobe suggestion, not mine.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that, I did try though, honest.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I took a shot at this one. Cleaned up with mostly the clone tool and some masking.
sedqnka3.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Diyana, here is an updated version. It still needs some work but I would like to offer the PSD file so you can make any changes you would like. Maybe that will help you out a little.

Here is the PSD DOWNLOAD if you want it.

sedqnka3Restoration_02.jpg

nitea

Gays you're awesome!
Thank you Mr.Tom for trying it. I appreciate all that you did.
It was an electricity lost I think. Here where i live, excluding that is Bulgaria, but I live in the wood, the electricity lost is really often. The day before yesterday my laptop battery died and yesterday i order new one, but unfortunately now every power lost costs to my computer extremely shut downs. I do save my works after every step i take on my HDD and I have external for my backups.

Sam I will continuation my work from your PSD file! BIG UP! I like what you did around the hands. Will come to post after I finish the work!

ALB68, thank you for your try, I know you're guru, but my honest opinion is that you should be a bit more precise to the details for this particular photo :)

nitea

hmmm don't know why but you have to click over the gif to see the animation /befre and after/...weird I just learned how to do this in some of the threads here, but it's look like i didn't make something right ....

MrToM

Guru
That's excellent nitea!
Its not been the smoothest of rides to get here but it was worth the wait.....nice one.

The gif animation works just fine here. As I understand it 'animated gifs' wider than the forum default of 700px don't play until they are opened, by clciking on them....so considering it works just fine like that I'd say you did OK.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It looks fantastic Diyana.

MrTom is right, if you want the GIF to play without clicking, just resize to 700px or less.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
nitea,
Thank you for your comment. I could not decide if the discolored area on the wall at the left was actually a crack in the wall or a crease in the photo. I decided it was part of the original. Those walls were made with crude methods of construction and things like that occurred. Apparently you did not view it that way as I see you repaired it. I also perceived what I considered to be a scratch on the emulsion, bottom center, below the tallest lady and between her feet, which I repaired, you did not.
One has to remember, there is a fine line between restoration and manipulation and my intent was to restore and not manipulate the original anymore than was necessary. I may have missed other details but due to my advanced age, my eye sight is not what it once was.:banghead:

Gays you're awesome!
Thank you Mr.Tom for trying it. I appreciate all that you did.
It was an electricity lost I think. Here where i live, excluding that is Bulgaria, but I live in the wood, the electricity lost is really often. The day before yesterday my laptop battery died and yesterday i order new one, but unfortunately now every power lost costs to my computer extremely shut downs. I do save my works after every step i take on my HDD and I have external for my backups.

Sam I will continuation my work from your PSD file! BIG UP! I like what you did around the hands. Will come to post after I finish the work!

ALB68, thank you for your try, I know you're guru, but my honest opinion is that you should be a bit more precise to the details for this particular photo :)

Last edited:

nitea

nitea,
Thank you for your comment. I could not decide if the discolored area on the wall at the left was actually a crack in the wall or a crease in the photo. I decided it was part of the original. Those walls were made with crude methods of construction and things like that occurred. Apparently you did not view it that way as I see you repaired it. I also perceived what I considered to be a scratch on the emulsion, bottom center, below the tallest lady and between her feet, which I repaired, you did not.
One has to remember, there is a fine line between restoration and manipulation and my intent was to restore and not manipulate the original anymore than was necessary. I may have missed other details but due to my advanced age, my eye sight is not what it once was.:banghead:

I'm completely agree with you that there is a fine line between manipulation and restore, so practicing more will help me to understand it better.
I based my comment on what i saw. I'm sorry that I have to disappoint you again, but this what you repair or considering as a scratch it's a falling brunch of wheat.
About the walls I tried to understand what are the age of this photos, but in the community center told me that they don't know. The ex secretary, who is about 75 years old, suggest that may be is the early 30th of the 20th century, but he just guessed, He believe there are still alive people from this scenes, so i may have find them and ask if they could recognize someone.
I told them about my rescue operation and the international double rescue operation and they were really happy and thankful to all :)
I will upload the rest of the images in the Before and After section.

nitea

That looks like a ghost on the right....just sayin haha

Unfortunately such a life forms like ghost, vamps, werewolf, don't appear on photos.
I don't know why but may be they are not so photogenic and don't like how they look in pics, so they have the power to erase themselves somehow ;)