What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retouching Help

MikeMc

McGuru
Just what it said...I would like some retouching help.

I found this damaged image on the web, for my amusement only I decided I wanted to fix it up.

I am lost on removing the blue, and it has a darker fringe which makes it tough. I will post the whole thing, but the small section with the bhue is my need. ..The small sections on the background were easy, but thats background!

Any pointers would help me learn this!

mich-mom-sis-orig.jpg michig.jpg

Hand painting the pixels won't work as the dress has lace texture

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Mike, this is preliminary, and it's a long way from being done, but here's what I'm doing.

I first filled/covered the blue stain with the Brush Tool and a sampled pink color. (red arrow)
Then I Used the Clone Stamp Tool and made tiny additions to the area where the blue arrow is pointing by sampling the areas where the pink arrows are pointing.
Then, when I had enough of that area filled, I just sampled from my newly filled area to expand the pattern.

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 6.42.46 PM copy.png

There might be a better way.

MikeMc

McGuru
That will get me there, pixel by pixel...I did that method on the neck, and ended up drawing more than using what was there....I was hoping for some CSI type masking magic !

MikeMc

McGuru
OK Hawkeye...spill the beans. I suspect a color layer and selective masking.???..Please point me!!!!

I do see the mess is not on the blue layer??

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, Mike.........my color is off and it needs lots more work. Hawks example gave me some ideas.

Once I figured it out, it only took about 15 mins.........

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 10.34.45 PM.png

I'm certain that Hawk did it a different way.

Paul

Former Member
copy paste smudge soft brush with colours and about 20 minutes an hour or so would give a great result i am sure, nice.

cpcp.jpg

hawkeye

Guru
Here is my procedure:
Check the channels and find the one with the most detail, in this case it's the blue channel. Select it (ctrl+A) then copy, add a new layer above the original and paste (ctrl+V). Set this new grey layer to luminosity. Now make a stamp visible copy (ctrl+shift+alt+E). Then take a soft brush and set it to color mode, sample nearby colors (alt key) and paint over the blue.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was so close! I tried luminosity but in the stamp visible layer I did NOT think to set the Brush Tool to color!

Thanks Hawkeye, this is a fantastic technique!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I combined your technique and used a layer mask with a color adjusted layer......color is still a bit off, but it's much better!

Thanks, again Hawk!

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 11.57.01 AM.png

This is my version.

I made a selection of the girls dress and the part of the stained BG. Softed the edges with 3 pixels.
I selected the blue channel (the only one without stains) and copy/pasted the selected part into the the red channel and into the green channel.
With curves I evened out each channel to match the surrounding grey value. This was done in 7 minutes.
On the retouching I spent about 2 hours.

mich-mom-sis-orig.jpg

mich-mom-sis-origChris.jpg

MikeMc

McGuru
Once I figure out how to copy and paste the blue channel I will get the idea...off to you tube!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Go to you Channels Panel
Select the blue channel

Hit Command/control + A
Hit Command/control + C
Go back to your Layers panel and hit Command/control + V

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
Thanks Sam and all...You taught the old guy some NEW tricks!!!!!

Sorta like the PEN TOOL... when you need it, it is the only way!!!

I will post up my finished version when...its finished!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mike I still ended up using the channel technique that Hawkeye described.

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 11.07.08 AM.png

I added a layer mask to only include the affected area from the above technique.

Of course this left the masked off color.

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 11.08.19 AM.png

This is where I had the most trouble, I tried Chris' technique of using a Curves adjustment layer, but I never got it to work. I need more practice with Curves!
I went with a Hue & Sat adjustment layer with colorize. It still was not as close as I would have liked, But I could work with it.

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 11.20.02 AM.png

The rest was all Clone Tool, Spot healing Brush Tool, and the Brush Tool.
I did add a curves adjustment layer to the finished product.

It still needs some work, but I'm done for this project!

mich-mom-sis-orig_retouch_01.1.jpg

MikeMc

McGuru
I had fun and learned something new! Thanks again to Hawkeye and Sam!!

heres where I stopped...I omitted the border here, I have it on the psd

mich-mom-sis-orig.jpgmich-mom-sis-origg.png