What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eyedropper

MrToM

Guru
You didn't specify which version of PS you are using but I assume its not CS6 from your post.
That aside, I'm unaware that the 'Eyedropper' tool has changed much over the last few versions anyway so the options should still be in whichever version you are using.

[ Eyedropper Tool Selected ]
CC 2014:

eyedropper_01.png

I dunno what else to say really.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
When you consider that a layer interacts with the underlying layer through blending modes, blendIF conditions, opacity of layer masks, etc., I'm not sure I know what "the color of a layer" actually means unless you make a dupe of it, and then set the blending mode to "normal", reset the blendIF sliders, and remove all effects of intrinsic transparency and layer masks. Only then, can I tell you the color of pixels on that layer.

Tom

Tom Mann

Guru
I was a bit rushed when I composed my previous response, so let me elaborate a bit.

Because of the confounding factors that I mentioned in my previous post, unless I manually (or with an action) do what I said and turn off each of these, I don't know how anyone (including Adobe) could uniquely define the color of typical layer (eg, partially transparent, with a weird blending mode, etc.).

Specifically, from the names of the options shown in the screen shot that Mr.T posted, it's not at all obvious to me that selecting "Current Layer" does this. I did a quick search and couldn't find any info that suggested that it does this. I suppose I could do a test to check if selecting "Current Layer" does this, but, unfortunately, I don't have the time at the moment.

Tom M

nachofrades

I have done some test, and it seem that does not matter transparency or blending mode, it takes the color applied, not the color affected by blending modes or transparency... but it's only my opinion!

Tom Mann

Guru
That's interesting. I'll try some experiments myself if I get a chance later today.

What I'm worried about is a situation like this: You have a layer that initially contained a small hard-edged, solid red (255, 0, 0) circle on a transparent background. You apply a Gaussian blur, so now you have a gradation in transparency baked into that layer. You put this layer (in normal blending mode) over some ordinary image layer, and the result goes smoothly from no red, through light pinks, to solid red in the center.

My concern is if you put the eyedropper tool over the pink transition area, does it tell you the color is full red or pink? For that matter, what do you want it to tell you?

Tom

Tom Mann

Guru
Hummm... that's exactly what I was afraid of.

I guess if you know how it acts, it isn't so bad, but returning a pure red instead of a pink is not very intuitive. This is why I initially said that the only sure fire way I can think of to get one, well-defined answer is to remove all the confounding influences. It's probably even necessary to temporarily put a white or black layer underneath.

So, I guess that one could write an action to do this, but it would sure be nice if Adobe provided this.

Tom N

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
...."It returns pure red, in my experiments... it seems not to listen to the mask."

Not correct. It will reflect the colors of the layer selected that are affected by the mask, or it will reflect the colors of the mask if the mask is selected in the layers panel.

Layer selected....
Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 7.48.15 AM.png

If a layer is masked with a gradient and you select the layer, the tool will sample from the gradated layer colors.

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 7.41.18 AM.png
Withe the layer selected, in the above example, the eyedropper tool will provide a different color if sampled from left to right. Variations from white to red.

Mask selected....
Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 7.51.07 AM.png

If you select the mask itself, it will sample the color(s) used in the gradient itself.

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 7.46.09 AM.png

With the layer mask selected, it will sample the various colors used in the mask. Here, variations of black and white (foreground and background colors).

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
"I have done some test, and it seem that does not matter transparency or blending mode, it takes the color applied, not the color affected by blending modes or transparency... but it's only my opinion!"

Not correct.

Here I have added a new layer beneath the layer I used in the examples above. It is yet another variation of red.

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 8.10.49 AM.png

I have set this layer to linear burn.

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 8.02.37 AM.png

With the top or uppermost layer selected, the Eye Dropper tool will now reflect, in samples taken, the variations of the new color created by the layer mode change.
Again, if I select the mask itself, the eyedropper will reflect the colors of the mask only.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Thank you very much for clearing that up, Sam. I didn't have a chance to do the experiments myself this morning.

Your results reinforce my comment that the concept of "color of the current layer" is quite misleading / ambiguous and can only be made unambiguous by removing all the confounding factors, and I'm not sure if the result of doing so would be any less confusing.

T