What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What technique was used?

dee-u

This is the original

a.JPG
And this is the edited one:
b.jpg
I'm just wondering what technique or filter did they use to achieve such result?

Thanks!

I presume you are asking about the increased color saturation and contrast, not the graphics and text running along the bottom of the image.

If so, I don't think they did much more than moved the corresponding sliders (in either ACR, or in adjustment layers) slightly to the right. I don't see any particular need for a plugin or filter.

HTH,

Tom M

Or, are you referring to the graphic element added at the bottom?

No, I am referring as to how they 'smoothened ' the skin tone or removed the blemishes, not sure how to properly describe it so here's a bigger picture of me.
del.JPG
Here's the original picture:

del2.JPG

Last edited:
There are a large number of ways to smooth skin, so I can't be sure which one was used, but because this is a group shot, one can probably eliminate methods that require the Photoshopper to work on each face separately.

The method I would probably use is to run the original through ACR twice.

On the first pass, starting with the original, set the clarity set to minus 10 or so, and increase the noise reduction slider to around mid scale. Save the result on its own layer in PS. ("Layer 1")

For the second ACR version, again, start with the original, but this time, leave almost all the sliders in their default positions except introduce a slight bit of sharpening and increase the contrast slightly. Once again, save the result on its own separate layer in PS ( "Layer 2"). Put it below the 1st layer.

Use the color range tool to select only skin tones (for everyone in the photo), and use the selection to make a layer mask for Layer 1.

Done. Total time about 2 minutes.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• del2tjm01-acrX2-ps02a_crop_698px_sRGB-for_GIF.gif
    del2tjm01-acrX2-ps02a_crop_698px_sRGB-for_GIF.gif
    419.1 KB · Views: 36
PS - If the effect is too strong, you can decrease the opacity of Layer 1, adjust the Blend_IF sliders, or go back to ACR (...if you made it a smart layer) and adjust the clarity and NR sliders till you get something that is a good compromise for everyone in the photo.

T

Try to duplicate the layer so you have two layers with the same photo, "Gaussian Blur" the bottom layer (Try some degrees) and turn the top layer "blending mode" to overlay, and desaturate a bit... you can "Dust and Scratches" the top layer and then sharpen it.

Hey, Nacho ... IMHO, even though the Gaussian blur / overlay technique is the skin "smoothing" technique mentioned 90% of the time on the net, I've always found it has a tendency to produce a plastic look. It can easily remove too much of the small scale structure of the skin -- especially when used by a PS newbie.

IMHO, the best technique is to first work on the worst areas with a very small spot healing or clone tool, then use the frequency separation technique.

Unfortunately, that's a bit beyond the reach of most newbies, but I've found that the 2 ACR technique is a good middle ground (in complexity and quality) between the frequency separation and Gaussian Blur/overlay techniques.

Anyway, this discussion probably makes absolutely no difference now because there's no evidence that the OP has continued to read it. He has never even returned to say, "thank you for the time you guys have put into answering my question" or show us what he was able to do. :rolleyes:

Tom M

Sorry for my terrible technique, in 1990 I abandoned photo retouching for painting, I am an obsolete guy! XD.

LOL, Nacho. From what you've posted, you being out of touch in PS is about as far from the truth as I can imagine. :rofl:

I was only saying that IMHO, one has to have a good eye, have some experience, and use a fine touch (all of which I know you have) if you don't want newbies to turn out plastic faces with the Gaussian-overlay method.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom, in my opinion, using camera raw may be out of his experience too. Which means to me that he would need a more detailed outline, how to get into camera raw, where to find the settings, how to transfer to Photoshop, and with screen shots maybe. Nacho's description seems pretty simple for a beginner if not as elegant.

Anyway, this discussion probably makes absolutely no difference now because there's no evidence that the OP has continued to read it. He has never even returned to say, "thank you for the time you guys have put into answering my question" or show us what he was able to do. :rolleyes:

Tom M

Sorry, been busy. And was busy searching for those new terms you mentioned like ACR, etc. I've got CS5 and not sure how to install Adobe Camera Raw if that's what it stands for. And have been reading about Frequency Separation Technique also but I am still trying to digest it.

Anyway, thanks guys for the efforts, please keep them coming. I am interested to see how that ACR thing does and I hope you can help me out with that one. If I can't use ACR then is there any other method out there without using gaussian blur?

EDIT:
IBCLAIR nailed it. And yes I tried using Gaussian Blur and it works also but as you guys have said it may look plastic so I want to avoid it.

Last edited:
BTW, if I have the PSD file of that image with smoothened skin, can I determine the different adjustments made without a history?

Attachments

• franche.png
    franche.png
    6 MB · Views: 6

Back