What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! How do I make a dramatic half shadow face?

badboy17

I want to be able to make a picture of myself like the album cover of John Lennon's Greatest Hits.
I've searched a lot of tutorials on youtube and It doesn't seem to look like it.
I want it to look like it is in the photo, Anyone help?

Here's the photo attached
front.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
EXACTLY !!!

Like Hawk, I can guarantee you that something like 90% of the effect was due to good, carefully thought-out and well-controlled studio lighting, with only a small fraction of the effect done in PP.

The photographer positioned a couple of studio strobes well in back of the subject to give the near rim-light effect. He then used a lighting modifier (probably a snoot, not a grid) on the strobe(s), and then used flags to further prevent inadvertent light spill. In addition, the shot was probably taken in a studio painted entirely black, or with black drapes to further soak up accidental spill light. Also, suitable makeup was used to control the nearly grazing incidence reflections from the subject's skin.

It really isn't that complicated to set up a shot like this -- one just has to be methodical.

Tom

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - A good place to learn lighting basics without needing to invest in costly studio equipment is www.strobist.com. They have many tutorials based on little shoe-mount flashes, and I'm sure discuss closely related lighting setups.