What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Criticize/improve my improvements

dee-u

My boss wanted the following picture enhanced and readied for printing.
Image.png
and came up with this:

drfranche4.png
Did I do justice to the picture? Any recommendations/comments? I just know the 'basic' things of PS and not an expert so I very much welcome suggestions and feedback.

Thanks!

Here are the things I see in your cropped and tweaked version of the photo:

1. The edges of the cutout are much too sharp / imprecise. This is like announcing to everyone: "This has been Photoshopped". There are lots of techniques to improve this which have been discussed in previous threads here on PSG, but, because of limited time I made almost no effort to fix this.

2. There is a overall red cast in both the highlights (eg, whites of his eyes, shirt) and shadow areas (eg, hair) of the photo. A viewer's eye needs some light and dark areas that are essentially unsaturated in order to feel that the photo isn't seriously flawed. This above red cast is completely separate from a white balance that is also too red. This latter problem is most apparent in the mid tones. One can reduce these problems using the white balance and hue/saturation sliders in ACR, as well as tools such as "selective color" in PS (move the cyan slider in the red section to the right).

3. I obviously don't know the gentleman in the photo, but my guess is that his skin tones are much too saturated.

4. The photo is not sharp. I used a combination of "anti-shake" (new in the CC version of PS), and a plugin called "Focus Magic" to try to help this out. One has to be careful doing this because it's easy to introduce ugly looking artifacts when sharpening a photo, and do more harm than good.

5. It looks like you applied a bit too much of either "clarity" or large radius USM, bringing out every wrinkle in the guy and making him look older than he really is.

6. He would look much better if the oily reflective areas on his skin were not there. This should have been dealt with at the time the photograph was taken wiping them with a towel and/or applying makeup, but since it wasn't, we'll have to fake it using the patch tool to patch non-reflective areas of skin over the reflective areas. The risk in doing this in PS is flattening the features of the face.

Anyway, here's a 5 minute quick tweak to illustrate some of the things that could be done to help out this image. He still looks awfully red to me, but not knowing the man, I didn't want to go too far and risk color changes that might not look natural.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• drfranche4-tjm01-acr-ps05a_sRGB_8bpc-for_GIF.gif
    drfranche4-tjm01-acr-ps05a_sRGB_8bpc-for_GIF.gif
    386.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
On #1 can you provide me a keyword that I can search? Sorry but as I have said I am not an expert on this. ;)

If you are willing to trust me with a copy of the original scan - or put a larger one up on photobucket or imageshack or something like that - I will make some corrections and leave you with the layers so that you can see what I did. I've got some time and would not mind.

Does he want it enhanced? Wrinkles removed and that kind of thing? If so, I can do that or I can leave it exactly as is.

Last edited:
On #1 can you provide me a keyword that I can search? Sorry but as I have said I am not an expert on this. ;)

Try searches like {photoshop extraction cutout hair tutorial site:photoshopgurus.com}. Take out the "site" part if you want to cast a larger net.

Here's one thread where our ibClare discusses her favorite technique:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...ard/37659-trick-extract-image-background.html

Also, spend a few minutes looking at commercial cut-out tools such as Mask Pro from onOne Software, Remask from Topaz Software, and Vertus' Fluid Mask.

Even if you don't use these particular products, many of the hints and suggestions they give in their tutorials are generally applicable and excellent, e.g., (1) as you develop your cut-out / mask, constantly check it against black, white, and highly colored backgrounds; (2) generate your mask using a contrast-enhanced, extra saturated version of the original, then throw that layer out and apply the mask to the actual layer(s) of interest; etc..

HTH,

Tom

Why'd you change the background? I like the original photo a lot, although the color balance, hue, saturation level, etc. need touched up.

Back