What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editing thin, veiny infant skin

Godeshelm

Hi all,

The reason I went looking for this site in the first place (which I'm very glad I did and should have done sooner) is because, as a newborn photographer, the most common difficulty I come across in editing my images is in correcting thin, veiny newborn skin. I find plenty of tutorials on how to correct jaundiced skin or red, blotchy skin, but I can't seem to find anything specifically geared towards this. What tips would you all have for me?

Thanks!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's hard to say for sure what techniques would be used as it varies from image to image. When you have a project, just post it and let us try to see what might work best.

Godeshelm

Jacobs1.jpg Hopefully this one can give you an idea. Look at the baby's arm, specifically. Sorry, I'm having trouble finding a really clear example.

Make a selection of the arm, soften the edge 5 pixel.
Add Gaussian blur 3 pixel.
Add Noise 3 pixel.

This is an easy and fast way to do it. A good result in many cases, but far from perfect.

Jacobs4before+after.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Recently I have been working on different retouching techniques. I tried several but this one gave some great results on the arm skin of the baby.

It's a high pass filter with a inverse layer mask.

Make two copies of the original, turn off the original and the first copy.

On the second copy (top layer) run a high pass filter between 8 and 9.
Set the layer to OVERLAY. Hold the Option/Alt key and hit the add layer mask icon.
Turn on the first copy.

With the high pass layer (second copy) highlighted, select your BRUSH TOOL and a soft brush, set your flow to 3%.
Select white as your foreground color and begin brushing the areas you would like to blend.

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 10.42.31 PM.png

Godeshelm

Thank you so much IAmSam, I'm making note of that method. Well done!

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Maybe when you get it to a standard you like, could you post a couple of your efforts for the members to see please?