What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing graphics and other effects from the image of a map.

wheelstb

I am very new to Photoshop. I have attached an image of a map.

I would like to remove all of the markers and other things in the image. Ideally I would like to be left with just the map itself. No background or anything like. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to learn through a hands-on approach. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Attachments

• hp map.JPG
    hp map.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 37

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello wheel and welcome to PSG.

You can use the CLONE STAMP TOOL to remove the markers/letters.

Before
Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 4.49.17 PM.png

After
Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 4.49.30 PM.png

You can use the PEN TOOL or the POLYGONAL LASSO TOOL to remove the background.

Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 4.51.23 PM.png

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Sam gave you the tools to use but the Burning question...DO YOU KNOW ANYMORE THAN YOU DID???

wheelstb

Thank you to Sam and everyone for the great information. I actually stumbled upon a similar solution using selection tools and the content aware future.Is always good to know another future/solution.

I am really a novice when it comes to working with graphics, so now I have another question. I understand that when you get to the white and gray checkerboard pattern on Photoshop it means that basically there is nothing there. I have noticed that when working with some programs even though there is nothing there and the size of the photo should be reduced, Sometimes the photo is The same size as it originally was before removing things. You are left with a white or black background filling in the empty space.

I often notice the problem when working with Microsoft office products. Why is this? I know that these programs are not necessarily the best at working with complex graphics. Is there something I can do to the image to avoid this problem?

This project will have been a great learning experience for me. I appreciate everyone's quick and helpful responses.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After removing the background, in order to maintain the transparency you need to save it as an PNG or TIFF.

wheelstb

Sam,

Thanks for the tip. I thought it was probably a file type issue, but I had no idea where to start. If the photo was a JPEG before I began editing will I be out of luck?

Thanks again

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nope, after editing in Ps, when you hit save as, it will come up as a PSD, you can change it to a PNG.

If you don't save changes to the original image it will remain intact.

If after you do make changes, and you want to save it as a JPEG but you also want to keep the original, just save as a JPEG and change the name.

Lastly, when you close out the document, you will be asked if you want to save changes to the original JPEG, if you have saved a version under a new name, then you can say "Don't Save" and the original will stay the same.

Last edited:

wheelstb

Sam,
I think I must be misunderstanding. I am saving one as a Photoshop file and the other as a PNG file. However when I opened the PNG file the checkerboard background is still present.
My understanding of what you said above was to save one as a PNG file format and one as a different format. I think I am missing something.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you open a JPEG, and then you make changes to it you can save it in any of the following formats.

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 4.47.16 PM.png

I'm not suggesting anything other than.........if you want the format to support transparency, then you will need to save the edited file in a PNG or TIFF format.

iDesign

Just out of interest, where is the destination of the map?

Its looks familiar..

Sent from my iPhone.