What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

transparent lettering?

DaveD

Is there a way to make transparent lettering? Just the lettering outline with no inner colors (using photoshop 7)?

Silencer

I have CS4 so hopefully it will be the same. Blending Options, Advanced Blending and drop the fill opacity to zero. Then add a stoke to have see through letters.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Do you have the Type Mask tool? If so, use it to type the text and then Edit/ Stroke and you got it.
transparent type.JPG

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's an example using a similar technique as Silencer described.

Create the text

Open a layer style

Under Blending options, Advanced blending, lower the fill opacity to 0

Add a Inner Glow using a slight gray color, then lower the opacity

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 11.04.16 PM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Or there's always the Black text on a white layer mask on a blue layer...

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 11.15.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 11.22.12 PM.png

SCTRWD

Power User
Yet another way is using knockout feature. Make text layer, in the Blending options set Shallow Knockout, Fill Opacity - 0. Put the text layer in a group, add all the layers you want "punched through" by this text bellow the text layer in this group.

Text layer can be edited any time you like.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great, glad we found one you needed! Good luck!

DaveD

I don't want to start a new post for the same kind of question so I'll add this...

Is there a way to add a "texture" or blending option to the letters in this picture to make it appear like the letters are written on the wall? Sort of like following the texture of the bricks
My only limitation is I work with photoshop 7

dd.jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
If you have a tablet and pen, just select a soft brush to whatever size you want, then draw out the text by hand. Do you have the Liquify filter in Version 7? If you do, use it to apply a drippy effect wherever you like. Their are probably some brushes out there that would help too.