What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resolution Issue - Project set up for large billboard

MattWalkerNCL

Hi everyone, new to the forum so what an excellent way to introduce myself - throwing myself at your feet and begging for your
collective help!!

I've been designing A2 posters for past few weeks and they have all gone well. I've now been put to task designing a 25 meter by 2.4 meter
display for a large wall at work.

The problem is, I'm unsure of how I should go about this - creating a 1/2 or even 1/4 scale document makes the file size at the smallest 1.5GB
(1/4 size and 300dpi) and I can only save as a PSB, TIFF or RAW. The printer is requesting a PDF.

I'm by no means whatsoever a graphic designer so my understanding of resolution is limited to my photography and videographer knowledge.

Can anyone suggest document settings that I can use for this document please? I really am struggling and it needs to be to the printers by Friday morning.
ARGH!

People viewing the board are to be standing approx. 1.5m closest to it, if that's of any use.

I'd been setting things up at:

Width: 6250mm
Height: 600mm
300dpi

This is scaled to 1/4 size of final arrangement and comes in at 1.5GB as I've said but i can only save as PSB, not PDF.

If anyone can help me I shall name my firstborn after you and toast to your health daily with much merriment!

All the best and many thanks in advance,

Matt, the design moron.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Matt, are you creating the artwork as vector or bitmap images? What does the printer recommend as a resolution for his printing process? Ordinarily you should be able to work on a sign of this size with a lower than 300 ppi size. Vectors will be resolution independent and allow the file to be created small and then expanded to whatever size is needed. Why can't you save as a PDF? Do you have Adobe Illustrator?

MrToM

Guru
Hi Matt,

Its strange that the single most important thing when working in PS is the one thing you didn't mention....the PIXEL dimensions! LOL.
That aside here's an attempt to clarify what's going on.

Put simply any image you have in PS can be PRINTED at ANY size.
There are 3 values that need to be considered:

1. The dimensions of the image......in PIXELS.
2. The resolution.........................in PPI (mistakenly named DPI in PS)
3. The printed output size.............in meters, mm, parsecs, whatever.

The calculation itself is no more difficult than A = B*C but, there are many different ways of using that formula to get what you want, and that is usually where the confusion comes in.

In your case you know the OUTPUT size and from what I can gather you know that you want to print @ 300 PPI.
Therefore the formula equates to:
Output Size (in inches) * PPI = dimensions in PIXELS.

What this means is that to PRINT a document to a certain size, at a certain PPI you have got to have 'x' amount of pixels.

Now, it may be that the amount of pixels in your image are fixed, in which case this limits you as to what PPI you can use...
For EG:
Your image is 3000px wide.
You HAVE to print @ 300 PPI.
Therefore the biggest PRINT size you can have is 10" wide. (3000 / 300 = 10)

Now, it may be that this is not big enough, (well we know it isn't...), so that means with a fixed pixel dimension AND a fixed print size the PPI has to change...
For EG:
Your image is 3000px wide.
You need a PRINT 100" wide.
Therefore the maximum PPI you can set is 30. (3000 / 100 = 30)

Now, that PPI may be too small for a decent quality print and will have that 'pixelated' look.

So, what to do?

Well, there is only one thing you can do and that is to 'upscale' the image, make it bigger in terms of how many pixels it has.
This is generally frowned upon and avoided at all costs but sometimes its your only option. Upscaling also degrades the image as 'pixels' have to be 'made up' from sampling the surrounding pixels. the amount of degradation is of course dependant on the pixels in the image, how many there are to start with and by how much you 'upscale' it.

If OTOH you have enough pixels in the image then no problem...you can either set the PPI to give you the correct OUTPUT size OR set the output size which will tell you the maximum PPI.

So, as you didn't specify the pixel dimensions I can't give you a more exact calculation but you can see from the above that basically you cannot have your cake and eat it.....if there aren't enough pixels in the image to give you the right print size at a certain PPI then you have to upscale.

If there are enough pixels then the output size may not give you the PPI you want for a decent print.
Likewise, a fixed PPI may not give you the output size you need.

I appreciate all that may seem a little daunting at first but it really isn't that complex.....if the numbers don't work out then something has got to give...be that the pixels, the PPI or the output size....its all a matter of 'balance'.

If none of that makes any sense then don't worry, we'll get there.

Sorry if I've mentioned stuff you already know, its just easier to say it all regardless.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Tom,
"The resolution.........................in PPI (mistakenly named DPI in PS)" I don't think so. Pixels/Inch =PPI
Again, my point is that such a graphic needs to be created as vector art. Photoshop is a program intended to edit photographs and not to create billboards.

Attachments

• ppi point.JPG
    ppi point.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: