What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

alt+space+drag zoom stopped working & red overlay when changing hardness dissapeared

CLnny

Heyhey dear PSG-community,

A week ago, 2 functions of photoshop stopped working for me. I remember there was an windows8-Update at that time, this maybe a clue?

LMB/RMB = right/left mouse button

I'm mainly using photoshop to draw digital, thus I'm very used to the [alt+space+dragLMB] zoom method. But now it just doesn't work at all.
I also recognized that the red circle overlay dissapeared, which should normally display how much hardness your brush has when using the [ALT + dragRMB Up/Down] method.

I use both methods very frequently so this is driving me crazy. Does anyone have an idea how to fix them?

Im using photoshop CS6

what i tryed so far:
- checking my preferences > cursors setting (normal brush tip checked, color set to red)
- checking my preferences > performance > graphic processing settings (they are grayed out)
- pressing shift+crtl+alt directly after starting photoshop
- reinstalling Photoshop
- closing all other programs exept background processes and my antivir-program
- updating photoshopCS6 to the newest version
- updating my video driver

I need a hero to same my day TT.TT <HELP!!!

MrToM

Guru
Re: alt+space+drag zoom stopped working & red overlay when changing hardness dissapea

LMB/RMB = right/left mouse button
LOL....so very close :rofl:

Joking aside:
- checking my preferences > performance > graphic processing settings (they are grayed out)
Without this being active 'scrubby zoom', as its now called, and, (I think?), the brush overlay just wont work.
It'll stuff the HUD for colour picking too.

I'd say its 99.9% a GFX driver issue, I've just had the same problem with a CS6 version too.

Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decided that my driver wasn't right for Win7 and so replaced it with their own inferior version.
I found a driver which PS liked and everything started working again.

Thanks for nothing MS.

Regards.
MrTom.

CLnny

Re: alt+space+drag zoom stopped working & red overlay when changing hardness dissapea

Thanks for your quick answer MrTom!

the shortcut for the color picker HUD on windows is [shift+alt+dragRMB] right? nothing happens. Seems you got a point.

First, I tryed to update my video driver via Device Manager, but windows told me it was already the newest version while the NVIDIA-website told me different.
But the NVIDIA driver installer also failed to install for what ever reason, but did leave me a installationfolder, which then I pointed the Device Manager to.

There is defenetly something wrong, I'll try to perform a clean video driver install tomorrow and post whether it did solve the problem,
thanks a lot MrTom ;)

MrToM

Guru

No worries.

Half the battle is won....at least the cause is known....Just the cure to go!

Will windows let you 'roll back' the display driver to one that worked before the update?
Did the update create a restore point which you could go back to?
Did you leave the iron on?

Regards.
MrTom.

CLnny

Hi MrTom,

sorry that it took me so long to reply. I ran into more and more problems while trying to clean install my video driver. Finally I ended up with a blackscreen while rebooting, almost made my heart stop = =
Fortunatly my Windows8 managed to reinstall the missing driver on its own, but rerolled the driverversion it had preinstalled when i buyed it. Must have been an emergency backup windows 8 rerolled.
In the end, I didnt manage to find what caused the driver problems. Just to be on the right side, I refreshed my windows. It defenetly was the last option, but at least everything is running smoothly again.

thanks for all your help.
CLnny

MrToM

Guru

No worries.

I've no idea what 'refresh windows' means but if it worked, who cares? :cool2:

Good to see you're up to speed again.

Regards.
MrTom.

CLnny

Refresh is a new feature of windows 8. It restores the original state of windows without touching the personal data, or so it clames. But as it will uninstall all programs installed by the user., all data saved within these programs will be lost. As I just recognized that I've forgotten to back up my thunderbird contacts (aw >.<

but regardless of regularly scanning for regestry bugs and useless data in the past… windows is so much faster again :>

Regards,
CLnny

MrToM

Guru

Ah...right...that'll explain why I hadn't heard of it...(Can't stand win8, its a step back in my eye).

Thanks for the explanation though, much appreciated.

Regards.
MrTom.