What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reduce the bright in the foreground

Jantonio777

Hello, I would like to request your help, I'm not good with Photoshop, can somebody help me and tell me how to reduce the bright in the following panoramic. Thank you.

Attachments

• AnkorWatentry1_zps728b4058.jpg
    AnkorWatentry1_zps728b4058.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 9

MrToM

Guru
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

LOL....of course!!!!

It all makes sense now!
(They only hung me up the right way yesterday.)

I'm guessing Sam wouldn't haggle...right?
(He's a very naughty boy!)

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nuffing ever comes from nuffing....right? :devilish:

Tom Mann

Guru
Mike, Tom - LOL!!!!

@OP - On a more serious note, the bright foreground areas are so overexposed that there is almost no information content in them, so one can't simply "darken them".

If one tries to darken them using any of the relatively simple photoshop approaches, all you will wind up with is a horrible uniform gray or tan color in those areas. Instead, one would have to re-create these areas from scratch, or at least try fill them in from other photos of similar areas that weren't so dreadfully overexposed. This would be a lot of work -- certainly too much work for me to do in the present context. Also, as Sam pointed out, the image you posted is too small to allow one to do much with it.

Sorry,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, Mike - I really like that. It looks like a pen and ink drawing that has been colored over using watercolors. It isn't a "fix" for his photo, so the OP probably won't like it, but I think it's nice and a heck of a lot more original. I'll be that there are hundreds of very nice photos already on line of that structure, so, IMHO, what's the point of doing yet another, but yours stands out nicely from the herd. LOL.

Tom M

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Is the that gray your speaking of Tom M?
AnkorWatentry1_zps728b4058.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Pretty much exactly, Larry. :)

As u know, when one tries to darken / recover detail from blown highlights, if you use a technique that increases local contrast (eg, large radius USM, Topaz Adjust, Topaz Detail, etc.) one gets lots of semi-false detail with exaggerated contrast like Mike did (but he at least gave it an artistic twist), or, if you try something mindlessly simple like pulling down the white point using curves (or equivalent global techniques like the white slider in ACR/LR), the whole blown area tends to go to one, more-or-less uniform color and/or tonality.

Such limited chances of turning out a decent result on a shot of a tourist destination (Angor Wat) that probably is snapped tens of thousands times per day is why I had so little interest in spending my own time, gratis, on this particular image. In contrast, if it had been a shot that was unique, or had historic or sentimental / family value, I probably would have been more inclined to help the guy out.

T