What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign for Making Brochure, Flyer ?

tai.nguyenthe22911

Dear all,

I have a bit confusion about which software is the most suitable for designing a poster, brochure and flyer for commercial use ? I see that all of these software , Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrators can do it.

So please give me a good suggestion for which software to use.

Thanks and take care,

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Any of the 3 can be used depending on the end result of your project. But personally there's one that's most versatile.

Photoshop may sound like your best bet. But the downside is the resulting files are huge.

Illustrator works best if you require vector images or shapes.

My pick , InDesign (formerly called Pagemaker) is basically a text and layout application. You can edit the required images in Photoshop, create needed vector shapes and objects in Illustrator and compose the layout complete with text, bleeds and crop marks in Indesign.

There are 2 advantages here.... the saved files are a bit smaller compared to PS and you can compose layout work for a complete magazine or book - from cover to cover - in one working file. If you were to do this in Photoshop, a 68-page souvenir program would be 68 separates files compared to just 1 Indesign file.

If your creating a tri-fold, two-sided brochure, you'll find Indesign's layout control capabilities quite helpful.

tai.nguyenthe22911

Any of the 3 can be used depending on the end result of your project. But personally there's one that's most versatile.

Photoshop may sound like your best bet. But the downside is the resulting files are huge.

Illustrator works best if you require vector images or shapes.

My pick , InDesign (formerly called Pagemaker) is basically a text and layout application. You can edit the required images in Photoshop, create needed vector shapes and objects in Illustrator and compose the layout complete with text, bleeds and crop marks in Indesign.

There are 2 advantages here.... the saved files are a bit smaller compared to PS and you can compose layout work for a complete magazine or book - from cover to cover - in one working file. If you were to do this in Photoshop, a 68-page souvenir program would be 68 separates files compared to just 1 Indesign file.

If your creating a tri-fold, two-sided brochure, you'll find Indesign's layout control capabilities quite helpful.

Thanks for your advice, this is very helpful

Thanks and take care,

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
you're welcome.....

I forgot to mention two very helpful Indesign features....

First, you can create a Master Page.... useful when doing magazines, souvenir programs or newsletters even brochures. Rather than doing fixed, repeated design features page by page like headings, pagination and the like, all this is created in the Master page which is locked so can't be accidentally edited and will reflect on all the editable pages of the works.

The option to select a view of a multi-page project - 2-page, 4-page, etc. Thus, if you were dong a 2-sided flyer or brochure, you can view both pages in the work document with Master page contents as well as their respective guidelines, bleeds and crop marks (if you select to view the last 2).

Helpful if you want to see how the panel design alignment holds up when folded.