What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have 60 pictures of the same object but the light and the color varies between them

jhoniquest

I'm taking pictures of a product 360 degrees and noticed small variations of light and color and want to equalize between all images.
I do not want to apply the same effect at all, so I do know the Automate.
I want to adjust all the photos based on a standard photo with adjustable pre-defined levels and colors.
If you can do this with a batch command would be better.

3rodas.jpg
See the three images has a small variation in the light which can be seen in the background of the image. I want to equalize it between all images.

Sorry my english, I'm from Brazil.

Thank you

jhoniquest

Re: I have 60 pictures of the same object but the light and the color varies between

I do not believe that there is no solution for this! Someone else can help me?
I believe there is a solution, just have not found how.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: I have 60 pictures of the same object but the light and the color varies between

I'm not sure about automating a process for what you would like to do. Each individual image will require it's own adjustment parameters based on it's light and color variation that will be different for each. This will also hinder the only other possibility which would be to remove the backgrounds and replace with an equalized background but the selection process with masking would again, be unique to each image.

However, even with my experience, there is plenty that I don't know about in Ps and hopefully one of our members will have a solution to this problem.

jhoniquest

So I would fit in an image and the other would use this as a parameter.
Similar to the Color Match, but with this you can not hit the light.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I tried the following method which seems to work fairly well. I don't think it can be automated but it's easy and goes fairly fast.

I added a Brightness & Contrast adjustment layer to the triptych. Set the brightness to 100. This makes the BG fairly even.

Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 9.43.01 AM.png

I then used the Elliptical Marquis Tool to quickly (and loosely) mask the rims on the Brightness & Contrast layer mask.

Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 9.43.37 AM.png

Here is the final image.

Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 9.43.20 AM.png

here is the layers panel.

Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 9.43.59 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

johniquest said:
So I would fit in an image and the other would use this as a parameter.
Similar to the Color Match, but with this you can not hit the light.
Don't quite understand what your saying.

The problem is not the background it's masking the rims. Each image depicts the rim in a different position...........the mask will be different for each rim. You simply can not automate the masking process.

jhoniquest

Forget masking.
There are 60 photos per product and are 10 products, which results in 600 photos.
Would be impossible to do this with masks.
So, just wanted all the pictures had the same light, exposure, and color, and then just apply an adjustment of Automate.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Without masking, any change made to an individual image to equalize the background, will change the lighting, exposure, and coloring of the rim as well, are you going to be OK with that?

jhoniquest

Without masking, any change made to an individual image to equalize the background, will change the lighting, exposure, and coloring of the rim as well, are you going to be OK with that?

Yes, I've tested it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

OK............Let me try to explain.

In the following two sets of images, I used two different methods and adjusted the the first image, #1.

I then applied the same adjustment I used for #1 to images #2 and #3.

The same adjustment will not work on all three images.

Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 1.27.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 1.28.08 PM.png

Each image has a different background that requires it's own adjustment.

I agree with Sam, you must mask the background somehow.
If it makes it easier for you, I used the "magic wand" tool to mask the background. It is faster but not as accurate as Sam's method.
To get an even background of a very light grey color I used the curve tool on the adjustment layer.

Curves.jpg

3rodasChris.jpg

jhoniquest

Exactly, each has a slightly different depending on the light background, but if you look better you will see that the light is as a whole that is different.
If I edit each image separately as never do that all are equal, so ask about any methods that let the light compatible across all images.

Many, many thanks for the help.
But please do not explain to me the obvious, I understand the matter, and I am only seeking a facilitator method to make adjustments automatically.
Let's imagine now that this exists:
1-I set the # 1 photo
2-I say to the other: adjust according to picture # 1
3-End!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

johniquest said:
But please do not explain to me the obvious, I understand the matter, and I am only seeking a facilitator method to make adjustments automatically.
Let's imagine now that this exists:
1-I set the # 1 photo
2-I say to the other: adjust according to picture # 1
3-End!

Please re-read post #10................ you can not set #1 photo and say to other: adjust according to picture #1 and then end. It's what I've been trying to explain since post #3!

I'm very sorry. Good luck.

jhoniquest

Please re-read post #10................ you can not set #1 photo and say to other: adjust according to picture #1 and then end. It's what I've been trying to explain since post #3!

I'm very sorry. Good luck.

"You can not" does not exist!
Just have not found the solution yet.
Or, at worst not invented yet.

Thank you for now.

Jody S

Forget masking.
There are 60 photos per product and are 10 products, which results in 600 photos.
Would be impossible to do this with masks.
So, just wanted all the pictures had the same light, exposure, and color, and then just apply an adjustment of Automate.
Your only realistic solution is to re-shoot the images, with your camera on 'manual' and 'auto-white-balance' turned off (I'm assuming you have a continuous light source or strobe set, and you can leave your camera on a tripod while rotating the objects). You will save yourself a world of trouble trying to get these exactly the same otherwise. If this is for an animation, I suggest getting an old-style kitchen 'lazy suzan' for the rims to rotate, and marking quadrants on it to get an exact rotation for each shot. You'll be able to bang out each product in 15 minutes tops.

Last edited:

jhoniquest

Yes, the camera was 100% in manual.
The lights are common, namely poor.
I only have two fill lights for studio.
Guilt is the main lights because when I increased the speed of the camera she started the show flickers.
Thank you for now, I'm following here.
Thank you so much, you are very attentive.
Success for you.

Tom Mann

Guru

If you are not familiar with the ability to type in coordinates into a curves adjustment layer, this technique for matching a particular color may be of interest to you for the problem you presented. I'm not sure how, or even "if" this technique can be automated, but at least it should get you what I think you are looking for.

I started by bringing the composite image that you posted into PS. I developed separate masks for each section of the image, and then set up three do-nothing, masked curve adjustment layers -- one for each section of your image.

Next, I placed color samplers in the large, featureless background area in the upper LH corner of each image.

placement_of_color_samplers.jpg

The readings of the color samplers show that this area of the background is quite different in each of the three sections of the image, and none were color-neutral (ie, a pure gray).

readings_of_color_samplers_before-not_equal.jpg

Since all three sections of your image had slight color casts, and you would probably would prefer a completely neutral background, I decided that an appropriate goal would be to adjust the curves to make each color sampler read 230, 230, 230.

The way to do this is conceptually easy, but tedious. You select the curves option on the LHS of the palette, go to one of the three color curves for the first image, and then click on the curve near where you want to adjust it. You can then type in appropriate "before" and "after" values for that curve. For example, if you want to boost the red by a couple of points in that tonal range, type in 228 (as the input value), and 230 (as the output value). Keep watching the color probes, and adjust your curve offsets till you get exactly the value you want (ie, 230, 230, 230) for that section of your image. You then work your way through each of the three curves for each of the adjustment layers that correspond to each section of your image.

example_of_type_in_curve_coordinates.jpg

The result is that the measurement in each section of your image are now identical:

readings_of_color_samplers_all_equal-after.jpg

Hopefully, this is close to what you were hoping to achieve.

Finally, I would make one more suggestion. Although I have never seen this specific product with my own eyes, I have seen many auto wheels. The photos that you posted look about 0.5 stop overexposed to me as viewed on a high end NEC wide gamut monitor (PA-272w), recently calibrated with a matched SpectraView hardware calibrator. Even after the relatively minor color corrections we illustrated above, your three images look unrealistic and much too pale to be suitable for publication. I would suggest that they either be re-shot (preferred), or at least adjust them in PS, maybe to something more-or-less like this.

3rodas-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_16bpc_sRGB-01_overall_tone_and_color_adjusted_to_my_preferences.jpg

To be honest, at least initially, I would be much more worried about what appears to be an overexposure problem than I would be about the small color differences between the various images.

Also, I should point out that there is a possible flaw in the technique of bringing the backgrounds all to the same color and tone, and hoping that the products themselves will also be adjusted appropriately. The flaw is that the product is almost certainly receiving slightly different light from the light hitting the background. Whether or not this is an important issue, I can't be sure, but I think it might be. Specifically, the gray of the inside (reverse) of the wheel looks like it has a small, but distinct cyan/green cast when it is pointed straight at the camera vs a more pure gray when pointed off at 45 degrees. This could easily come from some distant fluorescent room light in back of the camera being accidentally left on during the shoot. Obviously, this is less evident in the less saturated versions of the images.

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru

PS - Although I explained the method of manually entering values into curves because it gives you exactly what I think you were looking for, I think that the best method for your project is that suggested by Sam and Chris: Get the shots reasonably close by whatever quick method you like, and then just replace all the backgrounds with one of consistent brightness and color. If this is being done for a printed or web catalog, there are probably more uncontrolled variations in color caused by the printing process and the monitors used by your customers than you are trying to correct. Just my $0.02.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru

PS - Note: The first image in my first post in this thread (ie, the one that shows the positioning of my color samplers) shows the results *after* my adjustment of each section to give rgb = (230, 230, 230). I didn't see any need to re-post the "before" version in my response, since that was already posted at the beginning of this thread.

Tom M

jhoniquest

Really! Interestingly this setting, but it is very time consuming and difficult automation.
Tom, I really liked your image processing. But the best thing would still be better to adjust the studio and the camera when taking the pictures.
I greatly appreciate the help, and I'm hoping someone create some algorithm to equalize the light or background.
If I-find a more viable solution I post here.
Thank you guys! Thanks anyway.