What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Company ID Size Resolution

efasde

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask what is the Resolution for a Standard ID size for a company. I am using the size 2.103" x 3.38" and 72 resolution pixels/inches, I don't know if this is correct cause it seems very small.

Please give some advice.

Thank you,
efasde

Sam referred you to an excellent article on this subject, and I strongly suggest that you study it. In fact, there have been previous threads on exactly this topic, as well as closely related questions, on this forum.

That being said, let me try to get to the heart of the matter: Almost nothing is ever printed at 72 ppi. Such a low ppi will look horrible unless it is a huge print that you only view from many meters away. When something is as small as the photo on a typical company ID, for it to look good, it should be printed at least 200 ppi, and hopefully, more like 300 ppi. 72 ppi is a number typically associated with the resolution of older monitors, not prints.

Also, don't confuse ppi (pixels per inch) with dpi (dots per inch). Typical inkjet printers put out many micro-droplets (dots) per pixel. It can easily take 100 micro-droplets to make one pixel, so, in this case, the dpi would be 10x larger than the ppi. The dpi is typically adjusted using the "quality" adjustment in the printer driver software.

HTH,

Tom M

Also, don't confuse ppi (pixels per inch) with dpi (dots per inch). Typical inkjet printers put out many micro-droplets (dots) per pixel. It can easily take 100 micro-droplets to make one pixel, so, in this case, the dpi would be 10x larger than the ppi. The dpi is typically adjusted using the "quality" adjustment in the printer driver software.

You wouldn't belive how common this is even in the printingindustry.
About once a month I'll have to have this argument and try to explain pixels vs dots with both co-workers and clients. I think this problem orginates from misues of the "somewhat" older dpi, in the end what someone means when asking if 150dpi is printable what they usually mean is 150ppi.

Very nice article Sam.

if we go with this company apparently they always print using eps files so inevitably i will have to resample the file once in PS as KT doesnt output in esp hope its will be help you

If you are creating the company ID the best way to go is to create the ID in Illustrator as a vector graphic, that way you can resize as needed with no loss of resolution. When I create a company logo I usually make it full page in Illustrator (8.5x11). Then I create several different standard sized versions from that original, in Illustrator (1/2 size, 1/4 size, 1/8 size). Then if I need to use that in Photoshop I will import the version that is closest to my final needed size. As stated above once in Photoshop you want 300ppi for print and 72ppi for monitors as standard settings, of course individual needs may vary that.

If you are creating the company ID the best way to go is to create the ID in Illustrator as a vector graphic, that way you can resize as needed with no loss of resolution. When I create a company logo I usually make it full page in Illustrator (8.5x11). Then I create several different standard sized versions from that original, in Illustrator (1/2 size, 1/4 size, 1/8 size). Then if I need to use that in Photoshop I will import the version that is closest to my final needed size. As stated above once in Photoshop you want 300ppi for print and 72ppi for monitors as standard settings, of course individual needs may vary that.

is illustrator the best tool for logos?

Illustrator is my favorite, but there are others. The main thing is that you want to be able to easily resize the logo without losing any resolution or quality and this usually means creating vector artwork, which is what Illustrator does. I sometimes use CorelDRAW for logo work, it is also a great vector graphic program. You can work with vector art in Photoshop but it wants to default to raster artwork which will not resize well.

Back