What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monochrome color effect help

Jason Durham

ESPN is using these images on their football ads. I want to make these using my own pics. I assume it can't be difficult, but being a non artist/Noob, can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
.image.jpg

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Just a quickie. I took a photo of a WWII pilot I had. Then I added a Threshold Adjustment layer. Then I added another layer on top and filled it with the color and lowered the opacity to about 50% or so. Added the text and that was it.
Flyer.JPG

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's another way to accomplish this effect.

I start with an image of a coach and then remove the BG with the QUICK SELECTION TOOL.

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 10.50.57 PM.png

As Larry described, I used a Threshold adjustment.

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 10.51.11 PM.png

I then went over to my Channels Panel, and pressed the load channel selection icon located on the bottom left side of the channels panel.
Switching back to the layers panel, I then inverted the selection, Shift + Command/Control + I, and filled with a purplish color.

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 10.52.01 PM.png

I created a layer below the above layer and filled with orange.
On a new layer above the orange layer, I added a slightly darker orange gradient with the GRADIENT TOOL.
On yet another layer, a darker gradient using black. I lowered the opacity of this layer.
Add some text.
Add the black bars.

It's close...
Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 11.08.55 PM.png

Last edited: