What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help to make an eyefinity wallpaper

bear021

Hello , first of all Iam very new to photoshop and to be honest I am planing to only use Photoshop to make wallpapers. And right now I feel that there is not alot of eyefinitywallpapers (5750*1080) that I feel that I enjoy so I was thinking I could put 3 images together and maybe add some nice blur effect so its not just 3 images together cause even I can do that just by selecting 3 different wallpapers :D If anyone would be so kind to help me out how to do this(and maybe even how to do some cool effects on images) please be precise since as I mentioned I am very new to this :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi bear021 and welcome to the forum.

I believe that when you say blur, you actually mean blend or fade the images together.

There are hundreds of already existing tutorials on the effect.

Take a look here: https://www.google.com/#q=Photoshop+How+to+fade+two+images+together

Once you learn to fade two images together, then add the third.

Here are some threads on the subject:

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-newbies/43841-need-help-recreating-look.html

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...ase-teach-us.html?highlight=fade+three+images

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...ferent-sides.html?highlight=fade+three+images

Tom Mann

Guru
IMHO, the most sensational wallpapers for multi-monitor setups are done either by panoramic photography of a real scene (Google "panoramic stitching software"), or by compositing several lower resolution stock images into a single large pixel count fantasy scene. There have been quite a few threads that discuss the techniques needed for the latter in our "showcase" forum. As you have discovered, considerable skill, experience, and attention to detail is needed to produce a composite that is convincing (ie, that doesn't look like an amateur's attempt at a composite). I'm sorry to say, but simple, fade-in-fade-out attempts to put several stock images on one canvas just doesn't cut it in my book.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tom, I have to agree with you there.

In an attempt to locate a tutorial on creating triple monitor eyefinity wallpapers, the only ones I could find were using fades with masks for blending with web based or stock images. One was fairly good, but the instruction was so bad that even I could barely follow what the presenter was demonstrating!

In an image search for eyefinity wallpapers, the most stunning were the panoramas!

bear021

Hi bear021 and welcome to the forum.

I believe that when you say blur, you actually mean blend or fade the images together.

There are hundreds of already existing tutorials on the effect.

Take a look here:

Once you learn to fade two images together, then add the third.

thanks , Yeah exactly I mean fade :) I have read alot now but Im having trouble, the pictures never fade into each other , sometimes noting happens when I use gradiant, and sometimes the whole picture turns white. or I get a white dot somewhere on the picture, Im using "foreground to background" I watched a video that explained you need to make a new file. make it 5760x1080 pixels. RGB color 16 bit. Transparent Background contents. And in color profile he choose HDTV something which I dont have in my menu to select so I dont know what to select there.

Anyway.. After that file just drag 3 images into it, put the one in the middle highest in the layers, cut out the edges of the middle pic and paste them again and drag them out on the sides and merge layer with the middle picture, then add vector mask and "just use" gradiant. Wish it was that simple for me :D What am I doing wrong?

IMHO, the most sensational wallpapers for multi-monitor setups are done either by panoramic photography of a real scene (Google "panoramic stitching software"), or by compositing several lower resolution stock images into a single large pixel count fantasy scene. There have been quite a few threads that discuss the techniques needed for the latter in our "showcase" forum. As you have discovered, considerable skill, experience, and attention to detail is needed to produce a composite that is convincing (ie, that doesn't look like an amateur's attempt at a composite). I'm sorry to say, but simple, fade-in-fade-out attempts to put several stock images on one canvas just doesn't cut it in my book.

Tom M
Okey I hear ya :D I agree panoramic pictures are really cool on multimonitors. And the other thing you described I dont really understand what you mean but I am pretty sure I do not posess the skills to make such a picture anyway ;)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
bear - I know the tutorial you speak of, it's this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8hh50fixZc

This guy is using incorrect Ps terminology and is very confusing. He's not that well informed on Ps techniques. At about 5:22 in the tut he attempts to explain how he is extending (stretching) the center image (master chief?). The reason for doing this is so you don't have the transparency grid showing through when you apply the gradient to the layer mask(s) (not vector) later.

In the tutorial, at 6:37, he merges the master chief layer with the two extension/stretched layers.............but not the two outer images. He does not explain this........could this be where your going wrong?

Center or Master Chief layer...
Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 8.35.10 AM.png

right extension layer turned on........
Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 8.35.32 AM.png

left extension layer turned on.......
Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 8.35.46 AM.png

When merging, you want to highlight these three layers only and merge.........
Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 8.39.02 AM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another thing I will cover later.....I have to run to work for now.........is that he really gets confusing when he wrongly instructs you to duplicate the extended and merged 'master chief layer'! I'm certain that this could also be causing your problems. I will explain later!

Last edited:

bear021

Another thing I will cover later.....I have to run to work for now.........is that he really gets confusing when he wrongly instructs you to duplicate the extended and merged 'master chief layer'! I'm certain that this could also be causing your problems. I will explain later!
alright ! looking forward to it :)
And yes that is the tutorial Iam speaking of :D

Since he is selecting HDTV and I do not have that option when I make the file, what type of file should I create instead? Basically after I merged the layers I should just reate a layer mask (not vector as this person in the video says?) and then gradient?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
bear said:
Since he is selecting HDTV and I do not have that option when I make the file, what type of file should I create instead?
What version of Photoshop are you using?

bear said:
Basically after I merged the layers I should just create a layer mask (not vector as this person in the video says?) and then gradient?
I'm not sure where your hearing him say vector mask? At 6:45 he states that he's going to apply a layer mask. He never says vector mask.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are two ways to accomplish the fade effect.

Number one.

Step 1.
Place the Extended Master Chief layer on top of the left and right images.

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 8.38.48 PM.png

Step 2.
Add a layer mask to the Extended Master Chief layer.

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 8.39.00 PM.png

Step 3.
Select your Gradient Tool.
Open the gradient editor and choose the Foreground to Transparent preset.
Make sure your foreground color is set to back.

Step 4.
Select the layer mask on the Extended Master Chief layer.
On the left side with your Gradient Tool, hold down the shift key, and make short strokes moving from left to right.

EXAMPLE: In the following image, start at the blue arrow and make your short strokes in the direction of the white arrow, you may need to slightly move your stating point to the right (red arrows) just a little, remember to hold down the shift key the entire time.

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 8.47.01 PM.png

Continue until your fade looks something like this…….

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 8.59.23 PM.png

Step 6.
Next, on the same layer mask! Repeat step 4 on the right side only move your gradient from right to left this time.

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 8.47.15 PM.png

Your fade should look like this…….

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 9.04.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 9.09.05 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Number Two

Step 1.
Place the Extended Master Chief layer on bottom of the left and right images.

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 9.12.55 PM.png

Step 2.
Add a layer mask to the Right image layer and the Left image layer.

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 9.13.08 PM.png

Step 3.
Select your Gradient Tool.
Open the gradient editor and choose the Foreground to Transparent preset.
Make sure your foreground color is set to back.

Step 4.
Select the layer mask on the top or uppermost layer, which for me was the right image layer.
On the left side with your Gradient Tool, hold down the shift key, and make short strokes moving from left to right.

EXAMPLE: In the following image, start at the blue arrow and make your short strokes in the direction of the white arrow, you may need to slightly move your stating point to the right (red arrow) just a little, remember to hold down the shift key the entire time.

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 9.23.19 PM.png

Continue until your fade looks something like this…….

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 9.24.46 PM.png

Step 6.
Next, on the left image layer mask, Repeat step 4 on the left side and move your gradient from right to left this time.

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 9.29.12 PM.png

Your fade should look like this…….

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 9.25.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 9.26.03 PM.png

Paul

Former Member
Hope you don't mind Sam, great walk through as per your usual self mate.
I added another blank layer above your finished works and eye dropped a colour from the main blue portions, filled that blank layer then changed to a colour layer making everything the same blueish colour, then just dropped opacity a little.
halo.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
"Hope you don't mind Sam,"

Never a problem homey! That's what the guy from the vid tut does to his final image.

bear021

"Hope you don't mind Sam,"

Never a problem homey! That's what the guy from the vid tut does to his final image.

Thank you so much for taking the time to walk me through how to do this ! :) I managed to succeed now, However I only took the first 3 pictures I found on google and they were pretty bad quality and the colors didnt blend together very well. But im gonna try this with some other pictures., However I do understand now what Tomm Mann was talking about. compared to some 5760x1080 wallpapers you can find out there it looks pretty boring just to blend 3 images together unless they dont work together very well that is, and Im sure there is alot more stuff you can do to the pictures after you faded them together just to add some effects. Im happy you helped me succed with this Sam ! :) Thanks!