What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pop Quiz: One of These Photos has been 'shopped, and the rest have not, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPSForums

So, one of these images has been Photoshoped, can you

A. Guess Which one and.
B. (Most importantly) tell me why you think that is the one that is fake

Kqf1XP1.jpg

L0i1n1i.jpg

puddle.png

Again, which one has been Photoshoped, and why...? :naughty:

Attachments

• Kqf1XP1.jpg
    Kqf1XP1.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:

rogerthat

Re: Pop Quiz: One of These Photos has been 'shopped, and the rest have not, which on

Total newbie here so likely wrong but
I would guess 2nd image
Background and foreground look different

MrToM

Guru
Re: Pop Quiz: One of These Photos has been 'shopped, and the rest have not, which on

It depends on what you mean by 'Photoshoped' really. (Typo?)

If you mean "Which one has been edited using Photoshop" then its difficult to say.....they have all been through an editor of some description as the meta-data has been stripped....this would still be intact if straight from a camera.

Not only that but one of them is a png file, not a jpeg file, which is the default for almost every digital camera unless its in RAW format.
This 'png' image is also the only one NOT hosted on 'imgur'.

Other than that I'm not sure what the actual question is.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

If I'll base it on reflection, water splash and angle of trajectory (oh, that's deep...lol) of the kid jumping out or into the puddle ...... it's the second image that's "shopped". You can see the boot sole reflections in the rest of the images but not on the second (not even slightly). And the reflection is an obvious copy, flipped upside down with slight cloning on the boot and lower pant legs.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

Then again......

There's also the last image..... Notice the kid's sleeves ? The reflections or shadow/reflections don't match. Looks like the creator rotated the edited kid duplicate but forgot to flip it to correspond with the original.

I've changed my choice..... I'm definite this is the "shopped" one the OP has in mind. Talk about a photoshop fail..... for not paying attention to detail.....

But the second also looks tricked out to me.......

TPSForums

It depends on what you mean by 'Photoshoped' really. (Typo?)

If you mean "Which one has been edited using Photoshop" then its difficult to say.....they have all been through an editor of some description as the meta-data has been stripped....this would still be intact if straight from a camera.

Not only that but one of them is a png file, not a jpeg file, which is the default for almost every digital camera unless its in RAW format.
This 'png' image is also the only one NOT hosted on 'imgur'.

Other than that I'm not sure what the actual question is.

Regards.
MrTom.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. One of these photos was just a puddle before, and the child was added in digitally.

TPSForums

Then again......

There's also the last image..... Notice the kid's sleeves ? The reflections or shadow/reflections don't match. Looks like the creator rotated the edited kid duplicate but forgot to flip it to correspond with the original.

I've changed my choice..... I'm definite this is the "shopped" one the OP has in mind. Talk about a photoshop fail..... for not paying attention to detail.....

But the second also looks tricked out to me.......

Thanks for your guess.. good guesses, and I like your thinking.

So, just for the contest, you're sticking with the last one as the photoshoped one?

I guess you could say 2 were edited, if you're certain (but I was pretty sure only the image I know was photoshoped was) What I know for sure is one of the images above had a child Photoshoped in.. This wasn't intended as a trick question having multiple correct answers.

A few more replies, and I'll reveal the shopped one... and the winner.

KidQuixotic

I'm going to disagree with dv8_fx' opinion on the last image. It definitely looks processed, but the reflections look pretty good to me and I don't think the child's been digitally added.

I'm pretty sure that the second image is the one that's been 'shopped.

My reasoning isn't necessarily because of technical flaws; the reflections look pretty good to me on it. It's more the how the child appears. In all the images except this one, the kids are looking directly at the point that they're going to land, and they all have very "my feet are going to land here and make a big splash" positions to their feet. In the second image the child just appears to be floating, and not caring about the puddle they're jumping into. It's just not the right pose or emotion for the scenario.

MikeMc

McGuru

bpos7Zn.jpg

where are the bricks

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru

Ah, right....in that case its number 2.

errors_01.png

Reasons:
1. The 'reflections' are as dv8_fx said....a flipped copy of the original. The giveaway being the identical shape, even IF edited.
2. The bands on the shoes....why would these be in a reflection? You should see the sole.
3. (Probably the biggest mistake) Highlights on the TOP edge of a crease is fine but in a reflection? Nooooooooooo!

There is possibly a number 4.....there is also no evidence of the ground in the reflection. If you look at the other images the ground is clearly visible through the clear water where the reflection is.

I left this as a 'possible' as in certain light conditions this may not always be true.

One other thing too....what kid doesn't look at the puddle they are jumping in?....dead giveaway!

Regards.
MrTom.

Number 4 is photoshopped!

Nr.4 is photoshopped!.jpg

Mr. Tom is right! It is Number 2.
In the reflection you should see the soles of the shoes.

TPSForums

Thanks for participating everyone.. One more response, and I'll give the answer.

Chris Design, are you sticking with #2 the, or are you saying number 4 is as well?

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member

Number 2, really bad effort that lol.

TPSForums

Number 2, really bad effort that lol.

and on that note.. GREAT JOB everyone! Everybody got it right... you guys are good.

Explanation for other people who may not know why the image is fake, but most of you guys appear to understand why:

+1 Paul
+1 ChrisDesign
+1 RogerThat
+1 Mr Tom
+.5 dv8_fx
+1 kidQuixotic

It's a dead heat so far.

Last edited:

TPSForums

dv8_fx.. Actually re-reading what you wrote, I can only give you half a point.. because you might be right about the last one being photoshoped, however, the 2nd one IMO is so obviously photoshoped and it's very easy to prove, I consider that a superior answer, so I'm going to have to only give you .5 a point..

Good thing this quiz is worth nothing though ;)

KidQuixotic

I must admit, I don't completely agree with the 'you'd see the sole of the shoe in the reflection argument.

Based on very faded memories from a physics exam in school about mirror images and looking at the angle of the kid's feet in conjunction with the angle of view, I think you would see what is depicted.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm doing some reading and will hopefully be able to prove/disprove my theory with an image or two later.

Update: I had a think, and an experiment, and I know what I'm thinking but it's neither here nor there for the purpose of this so not really worth explaining.

Last edited:

kslaguardia

If I had joined in time to answer I would have picked 2 as well. It's the only picture where the child is not wearing rain boots.

TPSForums

I must admit, I don't completely agree with the 'you'd see the sole of the shoe in the reflection argument.

Based on very faded memories from a physics exam in school about mirror images and looking at the angle of the kid's feet in conjunction with the angle of view, I think you would see what is depicted.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm doing some reading and will hopefully be able to prove/disprove my theory with an image or two later.

Update: I had a think, and an experiment, and I know what I'm thinking but it's neither here nor there for the purpose of this so not really worth explaining.

It's actually a very easy experiment to try.. all it takes is a mirror, a camera, standing 25 feet away, and taking a picture of your kid (or a dummy) sitting in a chair dangling their feet in the exact same way as this kid is in the photoshopped image, and seeing that in fact, yes the feet should not be simply mirrored, you see a very different looking shape to the foot.. As the other images that are real demonstrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.